2015 Roof Rack ACTUAL CAPACITY | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Roof Rack ACTUAL CAPACITY

Hi all,

I'm looking to create a custom carry box for the roof of my 2015 and see that the rack capacity is rated for only 100 lbs. Is this absolute?? The roof box with contents would be apx. 200 lbs. Does anyone have any experience with pushing the recommended capacity?

Thanks!!
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the 100 lbs capacity listed in the owners manual for load on the roof itself, or on the stock crossbars?
Beyond those questions, where is your load to be placed (on the steel roof, or on crossbars)?

Do you have a sunroof, this reduce the capacity, I've been told.
Also, in case you have not came across those posts, some older model reported leakage around the roof caused by the rails, might want to keep an eye around that.

I would think it would also depend if you plan on doing off-roading or only highway and the bumbyness factor with the same (unless you go down my street these days with the ice and snow...)

It's the rack itself that is rated for 100 lbs. I've actually stood on the roof many times - I weigh 200 lbs. (I'm a photographer and this is somewhat frequent). I plan to get aftermarket roof racks that are rated for 165 LBS. My concern was the roof itself and then maxing out the aftermarket rack capacity. Thoughts?

It's the rack itself that is rated for 100 lbs. I've actually stood on the roof many times - I weigh 200 lbs. (I'm a photographer and this is somewhat frequent).
With all due respect, just giving my 2 cents hoping it helps you to make a better decision and curious as well, as I like nice roof rack.

You sure can put more weight then what is recommended, there are safety factor. And the roof should be able to mostly support the car in case of a roll over.
But keep in mind:
  • You may still be in the safe side and they are really conservative on the numbers,
  • You were "just lucky" and one time it would snap on you
  • You are pushing the limit and eventually it will fail (fatigue)...
If your box weight and anchors are well distributed you could be fine.

Also, when you say aftermarket roof rack, I assume they are sitting on the rails, curious to know if rating is for the cross member, rails or anchoring of the rails?

It's the rack itself that is rated for 100 lbs. I've actually stood on the roof many times - I weigh 200 lbs. (I'm a photographer and this is somewhat frequent). I plan to get aftermarket roof racks that are rated for 165 LBS. My concern was the roof itself and then maxing out the aftermarket rack capacity. Thoughts?
It has nothing to do with the rack/rail or the strength of the roof. It has more to do with vehicle stability when driving. Exceeding the limits would tend to make the vehicle 'top heavy' and affect its handling/stability especially in emergency manoeuvres.

Peter

Thank you all for your careful thoughts!
Jim

Back