Manual trans swap from a Ranger donor ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual trans swap from a Ranger donor ?

hertfordnc

Reaction score
City, State
Hertford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.6 xlt
I'm sure this has been well covered here but all my searching takes me to 1st and 2nd gen Explorers where this is more common.

So, if I have a toasted 2004 ranger with 4WD and a five speed and 4.0 how much trouble would it be to convert my XLT 4.6 to manual transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your triton 4.6L V8 engine will not bolt up to the Ranger V6 M5OD manual transmission

Yes that trans will bolt up should be M5OD-R2 in that truck a nice transmission
You would need some sort of clutch pedal and hydraulics? I am not sure this setup was ever offered in a 04 (GEN III) explorer. With the earlier models we could simply grab a clutch pedal from a similar truck. I do not know if you can 5 speed a 4.6 Gen III.
You would then will likely need tuning since the PCM controls the engine and auto transmission, without the inputs and functions from the old automatic trans the computer will be confused = tuning

This is not something I am really planning but I think I'll have this truck for a while and the trans will probably fail before the rest of the vehicle and with a bit of luck this swap could be done for less than the price of a rebuild, maybe less than a used 5R55 (about $800)

So knowing what i need for a donor, if the right one comes along cheap I could snatch it up.

Ford did not offer a manual on the 04. But i figured if i had a Ranger of the same generation all the parts would be there.

So, i need a 2002-2005 ranger with manual trans and a 97+ F150 a with manual trans and 4.6

Yes that trans will bolt up should be M5OD-R2 in that truck a nice transmission
You would need some sort of clutch pedal and hydraulics? I am not sure this setup was ever offered in a 04 (GEN III) explorer. With the earlier models we could simply grab a clutch pedal from a similar truck. I do not know if you can 5 speed a 4.6 Gen III.
You would then will likely need tuning since the PCM controls the engine and auto transmission, without the inputs and functions from the old automatic trans the computer will be confused = tuning
5 speed was offered in 2wd and 4wd for 2002 (gen 3). only with the v6 though. They are relatively rare (I haven't seen any hard production numbers but the best guesstimates I've seen are around 2500 for the US market. Australia got a few too, but no idea how many and the pedal box will be wrong due to RHD.)
This is not something I am really planning but I think I'll have this truck for a while and the trans will probably fail before the rest of the vehicle and with a bit of luck this swap could be done for less than the price of a rebuild, maybe less than a used 5R55 (about $800)

So knowing what i need for a donor, if the right one comes along cheap I could snatch it up.

Ford did not offer a manual on the 04. But i figured if i had a Ranger of the same generation all the parts would be there.

So, i need a 2002-2005 ranger with manual trans and a 97+ F150 a with manual trans and 4.6
I'd look for a 4x4 manual f150. But your price point of $800 is not a reasonable target for a swap.

the ranger pedal set won't fit. You'll likely have to modify the f150 clutch pedal set, or use a universal fit system. The 04 ranger is more like the f150 than it is like the ranger, but neither is a match. if you can find a 2002 manual explorer (specifically the 4-door suv, not the Sport or Sport Trac), you can use the pedals, but the trans won't fit your engine.

Good news is there's already a blanking plate for the shifter, so you won't have to cut a hole in the floor. That's about the end of my good news on this.

You'll also need a custom transmission mount, and you'll have some PCM issues with the car hunting for the automatic... Add more issues if you have traction control and the vehicle stability system

rebuilt 5r55w looks better and better! Too bad they didn't keep the 4r70w behind the 4.6 in the 2002+ that 4 speed auto is bombproof

>> I'd look for a 4x4 manual f150. But your price point of $800 is not a reasonable target for a swap.

I'd look to pay half that for the donor vehicle where i live, and another few hundred on parts and fabrication. But everything goes over budget.

Back