Rubber Seal Around Windshield Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubber Seal Around Windshield Leaking

Pheasmom

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Fe , Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
The seal around my windshield is leaking inside the car when it is raining. My mechanic said a windshield company could fix it but said the windshield usually breaks when they pull it out so I should count on replacing the windshield. If the windshield does not break what would be a fair price on replacing the seal?

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer

Mine was leaking some time ago with water dropping in around my feet from under the dash when it rained. I used a silicone tube with a small nozzle and put a bit of the sealer just under the lip of the seal in the roof area outside. Also made sure the area where the groove in the roof meets the seal on either side was also sealed. So far so good.
Make sure that the drains in the cowl area are not plugged with leaves etc. as this can cause water to back up. You did not say exactly where the water was coming in. Water can travel along body parts and wiring and show up far from where it initially entered the vehicle.

The seal around my windshield is leaking inside the car when it is raining. My mechanic said a windshield company could fix it but said the windshield usually breaks when they pull it out so I should count on replacing the windshield. If the windshield does not break what would be a fair price on replacing the seal?

The windshield can be removed without breaking it. If done properly or with extreme care. The issue is the reveal molding needed to reinstall. It's not cheap.
Contact Levitown Ford parts. They are a vendor on here I used. They will ask for your VIN number to verify correct part fitment .
Be prepared to spend 100-150 ish for the rubber reveal molding. I was only able to find it from Ford. I looked for months .
Rock Auto sells the windshield with molding for 250ish last I remember.
If using Levitown mention the forums, they gave me free shipping. Ground shipping .
Some of the other shipping options were as high as $400. FYI.
May talk to safelite about removal and reinstallation . I had gotten a quote of about 200 for them to come and put a new one in. Another option to look at. I would ask tho if they use the reveal molding if they put em in. Or insist on it .
Hope this helps .

Back