Oil pressure gauge flicker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pressure gauge flicker

ijag

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
For the last couple days my 99 explorer has been feeling like it’s missing while it’s in gear at a stop but not in park I thought maybe moisture got in the plug wires since it started happening after rain. But then I noticed today when feeling it missing the oil pressure gauge flickers? What could be the problem? And also it shakes on a cold startup until it warms up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The oil pressure "gauge" is controlled by the oil pressure switch. If the switch sees at least 5 PSI of oil pressure it will keep the gauge's needle in the approx center of the gauge.

If you idle RPM is low (anything less or at 500 RPM) you might be at the point where your oil pressure is right around 4-5 PSI. This would cause the needle to flicker. Sounds like you may be due for a tune-up (For example" plugs/wires, clean your IAC and MAF, replace your PCV and air and fuel filters).

Note: If you have the SOHC V6 engine, broken pieces of plastic timing chain components can also block your oil pickup. To check this, remove your oil pan and see if there's any crap in the pan which can partially (or completely) block the pickup. Also check the pickup screen for any blockage.

Thanks for the reply, I have a ohv v6. I changed the plugs and wires last year but I will check the plugs out and will do everything else you listed when I get home

Do the other gages flicker, especially under electrical load? Turn on the headlamps, set the fan to max, and turn on the turn signal. Does the gage flicker a bit more strongly than before?

If so, then it's like mine. No idea what causes this, but it seems to be harmless.

Do the other gages flicker, especially under electrical load? Turn on the headlamps, set the fan to max, and turn on the turn signal. Does the gage flicker a bit more strongly than before?

If so, then it's like mine. No idea what causes this, but it seems to be harmless.

Could be the voltage regulator.

Mine flickered too when I was in gear at a stop but would go away while the gas was pressed. It turned out to be a leaking sensor.

Mine flickered too when I was in gear at a stop but would go away while the gas was pressed. It turned out to be a leaking sensor.
What sensor was it?

Low RPM from tune up type related issues can make the gauge flicker

What sensor was it?
The oil pressure sensor. If it is leaking it’ll cause a bad reading and the gauge will fluctuate. If there’s a leak you should be able to see it. Mine’s a 2000 OHV.

Ford's oil pressure switches suck. Almost every one of my Explorers/Mountianeers oil pressure gauges has acted up at one point or another. If in doubt, replace the switch (and it's a switch - not a sensor or a sender).

So would this oil pressure switch cause the vehicle to shake a bit?

I did everything koda2000 listed above besides changing plugs and wires since I did those last year, and that didn’t change anything so could it be the switch?

I did everything koda2000 listed above besides changing plugs and wires since I did those last year, and that didn’t change anything so could it be the switch?

I don’t think it would. Mine still shakes like it did after I replaced it. The old OHV’s just shake for some reason. I’ve done everything from all new engine sensors to new heads, and injectors but it still vibrates. I just live with it but I will replace the entire exhaust system in the near future, so hopefully that fixes the shaking.

I don’t think it would. Mine still shakes like it did after I replaced it. The old OHV’s just shake for some reason. I’ve done everything from all new engine sensors to new heads, and injectors but it still vibrates. I just live with it but I will replace the entire exhaust system in the near future, so hopefully that fixes the shaking.
That’s weird mine never use to it just started happening out of no where
Also what switch is it there’s 2 different types there’s one that says 1st design and another that says 2nd design
99 explorer v6 ohv sport

What are your RPMs at when the light comes on?

What are your RPMs at when the light comes on?
The light don’t come on the needle just flickers, the rpm is around 700, and it feels like it’s missing or something as it’s doing it

I feel the running condition it's in is making the gauge dance.

Is your check engine light on? If so check the codes and start there

No. The shaking is likely causing the needle to flicker at idle. I suspect you have a miss which is causing the shaking at idle. Spark plug, plug wire, injector... ??? What is your RPM at idle when at full op temp?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah the check engine light came on but won’t have access to a scanner until later today or tomorrow.
And the rpm at idle is like 700 the Rpm never really changed since this started happening

Back