Advice on diagnostic scan tools and ect. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on diagnostic scan tools and ect.

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
I posted this in the 3rd gen modified, but it may be more appropriate here. Also don't get hung up on the 07 Charger info. except for if two tuner devices would be needed.

Hi all, I am wanting to get a diagnostic tool for my 03 Ex, but I want to be able to utilize it on our 2007 Dodge Charger as well.
My main concern is having one device that is not compatible with both vehicles.

I'm looking for advice on which would be able to cover my needs. My Ex is not on the road right now, hasn't been for almost two years now but I'm getting close. My Charger though is throwing codes and occasionaly going limp mode ect.

Wife took it to Advance to get codes read an the idiot there said there were 12 codes showing but "accidentally" cleared them before reading. But it did throw another that said shift solonoid stuck.

I'd like a scan tool that can read live information as well. depending on price.
I also am wanting to go to Forscan software for my Ex. I read in another thread that the following link would be all that's necessary to get there.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-USB-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B005ZWM0R4/

Would this also work on the Dodge? I know Forscan won't but the cable should work on the Dodge OBDII port as well correct?

Anyone aware of Forscan type software for Dodge vehicles?

Last question is, SCT4, is this the newest tuner version? IIRC you can only use it for one VIN number? Or are there ones that can do more than one vehicle? BTW the 07 is a Daytona Charger #606 of 1500. It's the 5.7 HEMI, RT version with Daytona package. Sorry if this is somewhat inaccurate, I'm not up to snuff on non Ford vehicles.

TLDR
What scan tool would be best recommended, within a reasonable budget? I don't want a $50 scan tool but am willing to go ~$3-500 range.

TYI, Jim.

Back