I need some advice 2000 limited camshaft position sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need some advice 2000 limited camshaft position sensor

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Screenshot_20190317-043625.png

So I found this at a local lot. When I went to start it it immediately started misfiring and throwing the check engine. I ask what the light is they tell me camshaft position sensor. I stopped the car and checked all the fluids and everything else I could it all looks about right for it's age. Inside is pretty clean body is straight.

So in my experience the 5.0 is pretty durable. Is it likely I just need to actually change the camshaft position sensor to fix this or could there be extra damage now? What price would you take it for considering that is an issue? Would you take it at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not trust the car lot to just say what the problem is, put a scanner on it and check all the codes. A miss can be a lot of things, and why didn't the lot fix the problem in the first place if it is just the CPS, probably why it is on a used car lot for sale in the first place. The miss could be as simple as a plug wire, or as bad as a burnt valve, but dont just take someones word for it.
Any way, If it is rust and crash free, straight body and decent interior, with those miles and an engine miss, maybe $1500.

I would not trust the car lot to just say what the problem is, put a scanner on it and check all the codes. A miss can be a lot of things, and why didn't the lot fix the problem in the first place if it is just the CPS, probably why it is on a used car lot for sale in the first place. The miss could be as simple as a plug wire, or as bad as a burnt valve, but dont just take someones word for it.
Any way, If it is rust and crash free, straight body and decent interior, with those miles and an engine miss, maybe $1500.

They did have the original plug wires still on it too. I'm going to go back on put my code reader on it. I looked on the CPS job doesn't look too far out my abilities.

Thats a lot of miles for the price. I wouldnt pay more than $1500 if it drove off the lot with no issues. These explorers are everywhere and Im sure you can find a better deal with some research. With a quick search of your local OK craigslist I found dozens of explorers for less than $2000 with far less miles. Just a thought.

When a used car lot sells a vehicle with a known issue and claims it to be a quick fix or sensor it usually means they couldnt economically fix it themselves. It makes no sense for them not to fix it and sell it for more if it is an easy fix.

$1850 cash BEFORE the test drive with all the misfires and codes, right?
You may be able to get that truck for about half of that since it needs a cam synchronizer/sensor and a full tune up
$1850 is about double what it is worth unless its in near perfect condition with newer tires

Thats a lot of miles for the price. I wouldnt pay more than $1500 if it drove off the lot with no issues. These explorers are everywhere and Im sure you can find a better deal with some research. With a quick search of your local OK craigslist I found dozens of explorers for less than $2000 with far less miles. Just a thought.

When a used car lot sells a vehicle with a known issue and claims it to be a quick fix or sensor it usually means they couldnt economically fix it themselves. It makes no sense for them not to fix it and sell it for more if it is an easy fix.
Absolutely agree on all points.
Cheap explorers are everywhere and its almost mandatory to lie and misrepresent to work at a used car lot.

I found me two but the wife needs a car. Everything has been priced way higher than what it's worth because of taxes.

Run. No halfway decent lot would sell a car that was misfiring and throwing codes. And check your state regs, but in California all used car sales must be smogged within 90 days. If your local laws are similar, then you might be buying the ultimate money pit.

Besides...5.0 owners can pitch in, but IIRC replacing the camshaft synch is an easy job on that engine. Why wouldn't they fix it themselves, if that was all that was wrong with it? Spend 15 mins doing an easy fix, and sell the car for a ton more money than they could possibly get with it misfiring and throwing codes.

Again...run.

The engine code only points to the one item needed maybe half of the time. A agree with the others that the dealer would spend the small amount for that one easy fix, if that was it.

If the overall condition is great otherwise, I might offer them $1500 if they make that repair they suggest it needs. Then if it fixes it, you've made a good deal. If it doesn't, then they will have to sell it cheaper to you then the $1500, or go fishing for someone else.

My advice is to walk away from that one. It may be an easy fix, but it may take may hours of diagnostic time to find the source of the problem and then it may turn out to be a major repair. No way of knowing.

Oh, and I wouldn't believe anything a used care salesman told me. If it were that simple a fix they would have fixed it and sold it for it's real value.

Back