Almost there!!!

Mr. Alligator

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
i have had my 97 4.0 SOHC Explorer since new....

Now it has 499,000 miles.

And I am more than 2,000 miles from home.

Almost at 500,000 miles.

Roll, truck, roll.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quite an accomplishment.....any internal work on engine besides chain guides etc.....?

None of my 3 SOHC's made 200,000 miles without major engine repairs. If you've managed 500,000 without having to pull the engine at least once that's amazing!

The original engine was replaced at 90,000 under warranty, for what later were clearly timing chain noises. At the time, it seemed that the timing chain issues were not clearly understood.

The warranty replacement engine lasted 340,000 miles before I had it replaced with a rebuilt Powertrain engine, mostly because I could not resolve the balancer chain rattle. In hindsight, I should have just deleted the balanced chain and kept driving that motor. Did not want to cut the chain out and suffer severe engine balance and vibration issue.

I now have almost 70,000 miles on the current rebuilt motor.

Oil change interval is right at 3,000 miles. I try to keep everything in reasonable working condition. But lack the mechanical skills, tools, and confidence to remove the engine or the transmission.

Of course, many or most of the OEM parts have been repaired or replaced, I am currently on the third odometer, which has been replaced with entire clusters when the speedometer, odometer, and/or other significant gauge issues occurred. So the odometer will not show 500,000, although I track the total miles with adjustments as needed. At one point, I called several odometer shops to ask about resetting the mileage upwards. They more or less kindly told me I am crazy ( which is true).

I have not quite decided whether to keep the truck after 500,000 miles, or to change it up and get some sort of classic vehicle.

Thanks again for all of the help and insight from this Forum!

Unfortunately this is not a testimonial aimed at proving the Germans made an engine capable of 1/2 million miles trouble-free.

Unfortunately this is not a testimonial aimed at proving the Germans made an engine capable of 1/2 million miles trouble-free.

If the Germans made an engine that was capable of 1/2 million trouble free miles, they did not put it in a Ford Explorer... but these trucks are fairly tough.

The original engine was replaced at 90,000 under warranty, for what later were clearly timing chain noises. At the time, it seemed that the timing chain issues were not clearly understood.

The warranty replacement engine lasted 340,000 miles before I had it replaced with a rebuilt Powertrain engine, mostly because I could not resolve the balancer chain rattle. In hindsight, I should have just deleted the balanced chain and kept driving that motor. Did not want to cut the chain out and suffer severe engine balance and vibration issue.

Oil change interval is right at 3,000 miles. I try to keep everything in reasonable working condition. But lack the mechanical skills, tools, and confidence to remove the engine or the transmission.

Of course, many or most of the OEM parts have been repaired or replaced, I am currently on the third odometer, which has been replaced with entire clusters when the speedometer, odometer, and/or other significant gauge issues occurred. So the odometer will not show 500,000, although I track the total miles with adjustments as needed. At one point, I called several odometer shops to ask about resetting the mileage upwards. They more or less kindly told me I am crazy ( which is true).

I have not quite decided whether to keep the truck after 500,000 miles, or to change it up and get some sort of classic vehicle.

I snipped off that little balancer shaft chain on my 01 XLT last year. I bought the XLT with 200k on it, and almost a dead motor. It was running but hardly....it barely made it up on the trailer.

4 LKQ MOTORS later, (either they came in seized, blown, or rusty) they finally sent me a 4x4 motor with what they alleged has 40k on it. We did chains, I personally took a bolt cutter to the chain on the balancer.

I hope to get 300k out of this XLT....

Okay, that makes more sense (3rd SOHC engine). Still very commendable. We're approaching 300,000 on our 5.0L 2WD 2000 Mountaineer. All original drive-train and very few of any parts replaced. Hoping to make 400,000.

I found by praying each day----protection and safe passage---works, Have an 80 F100 (79 build--last F100 built), has close to 800k on the original 302.
C-6 whistles, but still shifts.

I found by praying each day----protection and safe passage---works, Have an 80 F100 (79 build--last F100 built), has close to 800k on the original 302.
C-6 whistles, but still shifts.

I believe the Ford C6 was the toughest automatic transmission they ever built. I had one in my '68 Cougar 390 GT (my first brand new car) and I beat the living crap out of it pretty much every time I drove it. Not a single problem with it (or the engine) in 120,000, which was a lot of miles to put on a vehicle in '68.

I believe the Ford C6 was the toughest automatic transmission they ever built. I had one in my '68 Cougar 390 GT (my first brand new car) and I beat the living crap out of it pretty much every time I drove it. Not a single problem with it (or the engine) in 120,000, which was a lot of miles to put on a vehicle in '68.

mine has towed a 23ft Cuddy Cabin to the lake and back, factory AC that works...That C6 is tough. has interesting whine when idling, has done that for 10 years now--if Mobil 1 wont tame it down. then nothing will.....

If the Germans made an engine that was capable of 1/2 million trouble free miles, they did not put it in a Ford Explorer... but these trucks are fairly tough.
@Mr. Alligator
I have wondered about the Cologne engine for awhile, considering if one might find out if Ford was active in it's design, or simply "farmed out" a contract for the 4.0 SOHC. A lot of it is not typical of Ford engineering in my opinion. Like the ridiculous rear of engine cam drive on RH side. imp

have 290k on my 5.0 gt40p; what miles did everyone have to do rear driveshaft u-joints at? Believe i heard them crunching on take off today.

(Rear) u-joints have seemed fairly trouble-free, especially for highway use. I have replaced front/rear u-joints, maybe at 200 to 250k. Most times replacement has been after inspection finds a little binding while chasing some other problem.

Yours are due for removal, inspection, and probably replacement.

Good luck!

Back