• Register Today It's free!

Stuck in 4WD LOW

Brenee Lozano

Reaction score
City, State
Highland, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford explorer 4x4
My 95 Ford explorer 4WD has been stuck in 4 wheel drive low for a couple of days now. We've tried to do it manually and we've tried putting a newAccutator we've changed out the fluid and put a new filter as well. Does anybody have any ideas that they could share with me as to what I could do to fix this problem? I know it has to be something simple because it drives and it goes in reverse fine but when we put it in drive it's stuck in 4 wheel drive low. ANYBODY PLEASE HELP!!!!

You say you tried to do it manually, what exactly did you do? Do you have a manual shift tcase or a shift knob on the dash?

The usual ‘emergency’ fix to shift back out of low range is to remove the small shift motor on the tcase and turn the nub shaft with vice grips back to the 2wd position. Or is that what you already did?

You say you tried to do it manually, what exactly did you do? Do you have a manual shift tcase or a shift knob on the dash?

The usual ‘emergency’ fix to shift back out of low range is to remove the small shift motor on the tcase and turn the nub shaft with vice grips back to the 2wd position. Or is that what you already did?
Took the vice scripts and turned it clockwise and that didn't work and then counter clockwise and that didn't work. BTW...thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I'm ready to light this dang thing on fire and let it go... But I feel it's something simple and eventually I'll be able to fix it.

Took the vice scripts and turned it clockwise and that didn't work and then counter clockwise and that didn't work. BTW...thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my post. I'm ready to light this dang thing on fire and let it go... But I feel it's something simple and eventually I'll be able to fix it.
@Brenee Lozano
A jam-up within the transfer case may be the villain. In which case, the t-case will have to be removed, and the problem remediated. Imp

Back