• Register Today It's free!

Differential Replacement Question

Phantom

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Exp ST / 15 Exp Ltd
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can drop the differential low enough to get the half shafts to release, instead of having to disassemble any rear suspension to pull them out. I want to upgrade from an open differential to a limited slip and trying to do it with the least amount of teardown. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can drop the differential low enough to get the half shafts to release, instead of having to disassemble any rear suspension to pull them out. I want to upgrade from an open differential to a limited slip and trying to do it with the least amount of teardown. Thanks.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm curious about the same question!

No, not yet. No one ever answered and I haven’t made time to get in to it. If you figure it out, please let me know. Thanks.

No, not yet. No one ever answered and I haven’t made time to get in to it. If you figure it out, please let me know. Thanks.
@Phantom
Knowing how the set-up looks on my '04, my guess answer would be no. Believe you have to release upper ball and toe-rod connections to move the rear suspension knuckle away far enough to clear the end of the axle shaft from the bearing, then can swing it to one side allowing the inner axle to be popped out of the diff. imp

service manual has them dropping the entire carrier out.

service manual has them dropping the entire carrier out.
@Tike
My friend in Flagstaff recently replaced bearings in his '04, stated it would not be possible to do the job with the center section in the vehicle. He lowered it with a service jack, no problem. imp

@Tike
My friend in Flagstaff recently replaced bearings in his '04, stated it would not be possible to do the job with the center section in the vehicle. He lowered it with a service jack, no problem. imp
thanks for confirming

Back