2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 19 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

This is supposedly a photo of the 2020 Ford Explorer. Notice the roof rails seem to have gone back to the design of the pre 2016 models.
2020-ford-explorer-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps a different perspective, but I am never going to use ANY sort of roof rail system... So...

Is it possible to remove the roof rails completely for a clean roof line?

Thanks
2018 Explorer Sport

Oof, wow after seeing the removal thread, I just don't see it as worth it -- hassle + way uglier. Roof rails are totally fine, it's the cross bars that would effect wind noise and those can be easily removed. In any case, I have never had an issue with them on in highway driving situations.

According to a former employee of the company that made the factory rails and crossbars, the roof has been the same panel design throughout the 5th generation. Which means that 11-15 roof rails can be retrofitted onto 2016+ Explorers.

Apparently the crossbars for all years too.

I don't believe the cross bars for the 2011 -2015 rail will fit the 2016+ rails and vice versa.

Peter

I don't believe the cross bars for the 2011 -2015 rail will fit the 2016+ rails and vice versa.

Peter
What I heard through the grapevine. Apparently the same company did the Flex, Expedition, and I think Escape, and Edge over the past decade.

the roof rails and crossbars are totally different between our 2011 vs. our 2017, not interchangeable.
The 2011 roof rails are a lot more functional/robust and are open rails meaning you can tied stuff onto your roof. on the 2017, not so much, not that I would want anyway with the panoramic sunroof :D

the roof rails and crossbars are totally different between our 2011 vs. our 2017, not interchangeable.
The 2011 roof rails are a lot more functional/robust and are open rails meaning you can tied stuff onto your roof. on the 2017, not so much, not that I would want anyway with the panoramic sunroof :D
Have you unbolted them from the roof and tried swapping them?

Have you unbolted them from the roof and tried swapping them?

I assume you are referring to the cross bars, I have not tried to swap them but:

The 2011 roof rails are a "C" channel/profile at the cross bars glide through the opening of the "C".

Roof Cross Bars - Ford (BB5Z-7855100-AA) | OEM Ford Parts

The 2017 roof rails are a "D" profile/boxed, you cannot physically install the older ones onto the newer ones, unless you can take off the piece of trim to make the "D" profile into a "C" profile, haven't really tried that because haven't had the need to put anything on the roof of the 2017, nor will I since I don't want to risk dropping something and breaking the dual sunroof.

I assume you are referring to the cross bars, I have not tried to swap them but:

The 2011 roof rails are a "C" channel/profile at the cross bars glide through the opening of the "C".

Roof Cross Bars - Ford (BB5Z-7855100-AA) | OEM Ford Parts

The 2017 roof rails are a "D" profile/boxed, you cannot physically install the older ones onto the newer ones, unless you can take off the piece of trim to make the "D" profile into a "C" profile, haven't really tried that because haven't had the need to put anything on the roof of the 2017, nor will I since I don't want to risk dropping something and breaking the dual sunroof.
Actually I was referring to the rails which run the length of the vehicle.

Interesting to note that the crossbars are different, thank you.

I received a letter from Ford yesterday. It seems that they have finally acknowledged that there is a problem with their roof rails. The letter is offering a free, one time fix to their roof rails as long as the vehicle is under 10 years old and has under 150,000k miles. Other Ford Explorer owners must have complained too.

Still have my Explorer, but I plan on getting another vehicle soon.

I received a letter from Ford yesterday. It seems that they have finally acknowledged that there is a problem with their roof rails. The letter is offering a free, one time fix to their roof rails as long as the vehicle is under 10 years old and has under 150,000k miles. Other Ford Explorer owners must have complained too.

Still have my Explorer, but I plan on getting another vehicle soon.
I got that letter too. Finally.

Back