OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

biggest difference in the Inteceptor brake system is the seals in the calipers - and the ABS modules. they are full silicone and made to tollerate a different brake fluid.

If you really wanted to you could put those parts on your explorer but I wouldn't bother honestly.

Otherwise - ALL rotors are mostly the same and ALL pads are the same area. Sport pads and inteceptor pads, as far as I can see, are a higher temp ceramic compound with silicone shims on the back. That's for noise - nothing else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Adding my 2 cents on pads, I have been using Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic pads on my 2009 Santa Fe, 2002 Saab Viggen and 1994 Miata all with excellent results. No noise or dust. Good progressive braking. 50K plus on the Santa Fe. Basic Brembo rotors for the Santa Fe. Mid-price slotted for the Viggen. Will use these when my 2015 Explorer Sport needs replacements.

I am trying to order new brakes for my 17 Sport. I want to purchase a more premium set of rotors and pads so I was looking on rockauto and they have options for 352mm rotors for "Heavy Duty Brakes; includes Police Interceptor package" vs 325mm standard duty brakes. The HD options appear to have extra ventilation around the rotor hat which I would like for mine as I notice my brakes seem to fade if braking a lot at higher speeds. The stock rotors on mine do not have the ventilated rotor hat. Are the sport's equipped with the 352mm HD brakes or 325mm standard duty?

I have heard very good reviews on EBC Yellow Stuff pads. SO good I in fact ordered a set for my 14 Taurus SHO. Fast forward to them sitting in the garage for about a year and never getting around to installing. Apparently the OEM rotors and pads were slightly better than I had given credit for. Fast Forward to end of August when I traded in the SHO for the 18 Explorer Sport. One more fast forward I promise. Fast forward to end of October and me finding the EBC Y/S pads from and rear along with Slotted Rotors. As it turns out the Pads and rotors that I have are a match for the 18 Explorer. Sounds like I know where my replacement pads and rotors are coming from. I could almost remove the OEM pads and rotors and keep them around for future use and install the EBC's and get my moneys worth out of them since I can't return them.

I am trying to order new brakes for my 17 Sport. I want to purchase a more premium set of rotors and pads so I was looking on rockauto and they have options for 352mm rotors for "Heavy Duty Brakes; includes Police Interceptor package" vs 325mm standard duty brakes. The HD options appear to have extra ventilation around the rotor hat which I would like for mine as I notice my brakes seem to fade if braking a lot at higher speeds. The stock rotors on mine do not have the ventilated rotor hat. Are the sport's equipped with the 352mm HD brakes or 325mm standard duty?
The stock fronts rotors of the EX Sport has the extra ventilation around the hat.

According to ford parts, your sport has the same rotors as the 17 PIU - which should both be vented hat. You could try the police spec pads and see if you like them better than the retail pads.

If you are getting your brakes to fade a lot at legal speeds, you may want to re-evaluate your driving style/habits and perhaps reconsider an SUV with higher performance 4 piston fixed calipers or a performance car.

According to ford parts, your sport has the same rotors as the 17 PIU - which should both be vented hat. You could try the police spec pads and see if you like them better than the retail pads.

If you are getting your brakes to fade a lot at legal speeds, you may want to re-evaluate your driving style/habits and perhaps reconsider an SUV with higher performance 4 piston fixed calipers or a performance car.
I do a lot of driving to the new york city area and back and if you're at all familiar with the type of drivers/traffic you get on highways in that area you would understand. You'll be going 80 and the traffic will come to a screeching halt, then speed all the way back up again, then suddenly stop over and over again. Really does a number on your brakes.

The rotors on mine are the original ones from the factory and they do not have the vented hat which I find weird because my last explorer which was a 2013 Limited had the ventilated rotor hats.

I do a lot of driving to the new york city area and back and if you're at all familiar with the type of drivers/traffic you get on highways in that area you would understand. You'll be going 80 and the traffic will come to a screeching halt, then speed all the way back up again, then suddenly stop over and over again. Really does a number on your brakes.

The rotors on mine are the original ones from the factory and they do not have the vented hat which I find weird because my last explorer which was a 2013 had the ventilated rotor hats.
I'm familiar with the area and the people in that area. Same as the connecticut corridor everyone likes to think is super special also. Everyone in and around major metropolitan areas has similar traffic - some of it for a little longer than others and some more aggressive than others - but there is nothing unique or special about stop and go 70-0-70 expressway traffic. If one is driving beyond the limits of their vehicle, it's probably a good time to dial it back or find a more suitable vehicle. You may want to give the wagner oex pads a try - I understand they are just the bee's knees...

As far as rotors, apparently the DG1Z-1125-C (vented hat) is old and has been revised with GG1Z-1125-A (non vented hat) and noted with "will no longer have inner slots". Not sure exactly when this changed - maybe late 2016.

I'm familiar with the area and the people in that area. Same as the connecticut corridor everyone likes to think is super special also. Everyone in and around major metropolitan areas has similar traffic - some of it for a little longer than others and some more aggressive than others - but there is nothing unique or special about stop and go 70-0-70 expressway traffic. If one is driving beyond the limits of their vehicle, it's probably a good time to dial it back or find a more suitable vehicle. You may want to give the wagner oex pads a try - I understand they are just the bee's knees...

As far as rotors, apparently the DG1Z-1125-C (vented hat) is old and has been revised with GG1Z-1125-A (non vented hat) and noted with "will no longer have inner slots". Not sure exactly when this changed - maybe late 2016.
I guess you're right.. a vehicle designed to endure high speed pursuits must not be suitable for a crazy driver such as myself.. :laugh:

I guess you're right.. a vehicle designed to endure high speed pursuits must not be suitable for a crazy driver such as myself.. :laugh:
I thought you had a retail explorer, none of which are designed to endure high speed pursuits. I apologize if you actually have the piu version. I have not experienced brake fade in my piu, even after a track day. If your piu is experiencing brake fade, you are one spirited driver.

Added: I'll just drop this here in case anyone is looking for a little light reading on pursuit capable vs retail/civilian models - https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/2018MYPoliceVehicleEvaluationTestBookFINAL_606385_7.pdf

"The term pursuit rated vehicle has recently been called into question as no one fully understands what this term represents. The term pursuit capable is more appropriate as there is no sanctioning body, or specific performance criteria, to determine if the vehicle meets a specialized designation. Each vehicle has been modified from a civilian vehicle to perform better under the rigors of police use. These vehicles are engineered to repetitively stop in a shorter distance, accelerate faster, and handle better than the base platform. Modifications to engines, cooling systems, transmissions and shifting parameters, brakes, tires, stability control programming, and other changes may all be included as part of the manufacturers police package."

"The MSP has performance criteria attached to its purchasing specifications. The criteria has historically been that a vehicle must accelerate from 0 – 60 mph in 9.0 seconds, 0 – 80 mph in 14.9 seconds, and 0 – 100 mph in 24.6 seconds. The vehicle must reach 110 mph in 4,838 feet and 120 mph in 8,985 feet. The vehicle must maintain an average deceleration rate of 25.79 ft./sec2 while performing twenty 60 – 0 mph threshold braking stops. The vehicle must also successfully complete all 32 laps of the Grattan Raceway dynamics testing without major component failure. Meeting these criteria does not certify a vehicle as being pursuit rated, rather it justifies a vehicle is capable of performing the job function the MSP requires in a police vehicle."

I have a 2016 Platinum. There seems to be a part number difference whether its an AWD or a 4WD for brake kits from powerstop. is this a question of heavy duty or not? I don't know.
The calipers from the factory seem fine, but when I drive her hard I'm starting to get heat and front rotor vibration hence looking for the Powerstop Z23 package for front and rear without calipers to keep front (and rear end) happy happy.
I called my local ford dealership and they did say there was a heavy duty front caliper part number for her.
I found a VIN decoder, entered my VIN, and the drivetrain is decoded as AWD.

So do I have factory HD rotors and brakes all the way around?

Any help would be appriciated!

Powerstop rotors and ceramic pads from Rock Auto. All 4 wheels under $250. Originals went 70K miles.
um and therr

I have a 2016 Platinum. There seems to be a part number difference whether its an AWD or a 4WD for brake kits from powerstop. is this a question of heavy duty or not? I don't know.
The calipers from the factory seem fine, but when I drive her hard I'm starting to get heat and front rotor vibration hence looking for the Powerstop Z23 package for front and rear without calipers to keep front (and rear end) happy happy.
I called my local ford dealership and they did say there was a heavy duty front caliper part number for her.

um and therr
Yes, the Platinum has HD brakes and rotors all around.
If you look closely at the non HD pads, there are two mounting "ears" and the HD pads only have one.
For the rotors, the non HDs don't have center cooling fins, for a lack of better description.

you will probably see the center holes go away on all rotors - especially performance onces. They lead to issues with casting porosity and cracking under stress. So don't be surprised if you don't see them on new rotors from now.

NOW let's talk street driving and performance pads. NEVER EVER put race compound pads on a street car. For example EBC yellow pads - they need to be hot before they reach full friction grip - this is OK on a race track because you'll heat them up before you start your laps - etc. IN normal street driving you might well lose some initial grip and deceleration. There are however more aggressive compounds that bridge the gap. If you like EBC pads I'm a fan of stopping with EBC reds. Otherwise I recommend a number of other pads - best street driving pad I've ever used on a sports car has been the carbotech 1521's. I'll also stop and give a nod to Hawk Ceramics - Porterfield ceramics. I have run Carbotech AX6's on a street use, but I do prefer the 1521's. I've also run the 1521's on a race track and they worked great. (it was a special category run and we were supposed to stay in street trim - at road atlanta).

Anyway. Going for a expensive race compound or race purpose pad is not necessarily going to give you the right grip in the panic stop in traffic situation.

Rotors - I've ranted about this before but no holes please. Slots, if you want the absolute in performance - yes please. Slots sweep the rotor and prevent glazing under high heat and pressure - most moderm pads resist glazing anyway but slots still help - they also help evac dust that builds up in the gap.

Then by all means - trade out your brake fluid - there are a number of options I still like ATE wish they still sold it in 2 colors. Motul is good too but I just can't justify the expense. trade out the fluid more often - I used to flush after every race anyway. - or at least get the stuff out of the calipers. (it gets the hottest here)

Titanium shims - there is some logic to putting in shims behind the pads to stop the heat from moving into the calipers - I'm partially a fan. I don't use them at the moment but I think about it.

OEM FTW. Going 3 years without issue and still some pad life, will change out this summer.

I've got 2.5 years on my 17 Sport and my OEM brakes are still like new. I'm averaging less than 1000km / 625m per month, but most of my driving is stop and go in-city driving. For such a big vehicle, the brakes are phenomenal and definitely don't feel the need to upgrade. I guess I'm officially old now.

I've got 2.5 years on my 17 Sport and my OEM brakes are still like new. I'm averaging less than 1000km / 625m per month, but most of my driving is stop and go in-city driving. For such a big vehicle, the brakes are phenomenal and definitely don't feel the need to upgrade. I guess I'm officially old now.

That is just the problem I guess - getting old.
I just can't believe that they would put such a nice power plant in my vehicle, and pair it up with bike brakes.
I recall watching a newer episode of Cops where on a pursuit the Explorer Interceptor had to back off due to brakes overheating according to the officers radio communications I just think that if you purchase a Sport, Platinum, or Interceptor (for police purposes) that top of the line (front & rear) brakes should be a no brainer for Ford's massive bump of the Explorer's base price.

um and therr

All Explorers in this generation are either FWD or FWD biased AWD. There's no traditional 4WD, although there is a terrain management system that does solid job of mimicking it.

All Explorers in this generation are either FWD or FWD biased AWD. There's no traditional 4WD, although there is a terrain management system that does solid job of mimicking it.

When I was at the dealership, we went over the window stickers with the salesperson and found that some of the Platinum units up for sale had designations of 4WD or AWD.
I've found out that many sites designate the size of rotor as either 12.8" or 13.9" - so when the weather takes a turn for the better, and I have spare time, I'm just going to have to measure the front rotor myself to see where I stand. VIN decoders are useless.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was at the dealership, we went over the window stickers with the salesperson and found that some of the Platinum units up for sale had designations of 4WD or AWD.
I've found out that many sites designate the size of rotor as either 12.8" or 13.9" - so when the weather takes a turn for the better, and I have spare time, I'm just going to have to measure the front rotor myself to see where I stand. VIN decoders are useless.

I have a base model and it has a 4wd metallic tag on back. But it's still AWD.

Back