Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 67 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I sure want to see a pass with the Nitrous. Hopefully you find the leak and the fix is quick and easy.

Any thoughts on your next track visit?
Maybe this Saturday... LOL

Had fun testing the nitrous out on Saturday. 9HP shot LOL.
Accomplished a bunch of things, like testing the heated bottle bracket, and getting the pressure switch set to keep the pressure at 1,000 psi.
I got to test the purge stuff which worked, and the new main line I installed last Thursday.

Unfortunately the nitrous controller gear lock outs feature is not working correctly(was spraying in more gears than I wanted) so I think I am going to install a red nitrous activation button on my steering wheel.(the RPM and TPS functions of the controller work great though) It might be that I don't have "clean rpm signals".

Also I don't like where the pressure switch for the heated bottle bracket is installed. The heated bottle bracket came with an AN fitting adaptor which has a provision(hole) for attaching the switch. If you install it there like I did(as per instructions), when you close the bottle you get no pressure to the switch and the heater will stay on permanently which can cause an over pressure problem and lead to personal injury or property damage. In other words, boom!
I will move the sensor to the bottle valve instead.

There is a green LED I use to tell if the nitrous is spraying, but I hooked it up to a 12 volt output from the nitrous controller that is supposed to be used for a timing retard system. It sounded like a good idea at the time but I don't think it is working right so I am going to attach the green LED to the output of the nitrous solenoid relay. Then I will know for sure when the solenoid is being activated.

I also need to lower the mph when the shifts occur since I was bouncing off the limiter again. This means I have to update my SCT software in my truck too.

This coming Saturday I have to recertify in the ASE L1 Advanced Engine Performance Certification,
so after that I plan to spend the rest of the day in my garage(my oasis).

Nice to see you can fix what you don't like and then start adding more spray. Perfect.

For all those guys that say the trans is weak, I'd say it just needs to be maintained by someone that that is logical, methodica, and that cares.

Awesome!

That was AWESOME!! Did you beat the guy next to you? To me it looked like you did. Not sure how I would like that if a V6 Explorer just beat the socks off me at the track :)

So Why do you have to recertify in the ASE L1? Is it cause you are faster now? Sorry not much of a drag person but love watching it.

I did win that race. His car was faster than my truck but he took a long time getting off the light (tree). I think he may have had wheel spin or something.
On the time slip he ran 12.10 or something, I was 12.9 something. At the end of the 1/4 mile there are green lights on either side of the track on the concrete barriers. If you look close you will see mine light on the right side of the track. I only won by .03 something of a second. LOL

The ASE L1 test is an ASE test for advanced engine performance. If you want to be a certified mechanic you have to take ASE tests. I was for 16 years but now I am an automotive instructor. I have to stay certified to teach. The funny thing is I teach engine performance so I find the test very easy. I am very lucky to have received all the training I have. I am happy to help others learn now, I have been teaching for quite some time. This June will be 30 years since I graduated from Lincoln Technical Institute. They got me my start and now I have been teaching at Universal Technical Institute for 14 years come this April.
I have no regrets and love the automotive industry. After almost 30 years in the field I still don't know everything though, learning is a lifetime thing. LOL

I did win that race. His car was faster than my truck but he took a long time getting off the light (tree). I think he may have had wheel spin or something.
On the time slip he ran 12.10 or something, I was 12.9 something. At the end of the 1/4 mile there are green lights on either side of the track on the concrete barriers. If you look close you will see mine light on the right side of the track. I only won by .03 something of a second. LOL

That is awesome sir. I guess its awesome that you have a job you love. Look forward to seeing more of what you do with your Explorer.

The nitrous bottle pressure sensor is now moved to the bottle, much safer. (on right side of bottle valve in picture)

Nitrous Pressure sensor.JPG

I turned my cruise control resume button into a normally open nitrous switch.
Now when I don't want the controller spraying in others gears, I just don't push the button.
Hoping to test it this coming Saturday at the track. I also plan on installing bigger jets(bigger than 9HP LOL)

Steering Wheel.JPG

I got my L1 recert test out of the way, good for 4 more years.
Adjusted the mph shifts in my tune to hopefully stop the vehicle from bouncing off a rev limiter.
Also replaced the rechargeable battery in my Pivothead Glasses, Now I just need to put some bigger jets in and get to the track!
Here's hoping the weather stays good for Saturday!

I got my L1 recert test out of the way, good for 4 more years.
Adjusted the mph shifts in my tune to hopefully stop the vehicle from bouncing off a rev limiter.
Also replaced the rechargeable battery in my Pivothead Glasses, Now I just need to put some bigger jets in and get to the track!
Here's hoping the weather stays good for Saturday!

Looking forward to seeing the results:burnout:

I just swapped jets to bigger ones.
Seemed I had 12 HP jets in, and now I have 25HP
I will change them at the track Saturday too, after a couple test hits.
Come on weather, stay nice!

Are you spraying before your iat sensor? I can't imagine you noticed an iat change with the 12HP jet? I'm really curious about nitrous and its cooling effect.

I am spraying right behind the throttle body with a plate, my IAT is under the supercharger so yes.
A very slight IAT change was noticed in 4th gear. The temp actually dropped 2 degrees for a split second.
This can cause timing to advance a little too depending on how your vehicle is tuned. I think I saw about 13.5 degrees advance where it might have been 12 or 13 before that. I do have 4-6 degrees pulled for safety and am still running Boostane Premium (2 cans).
Once I see what it can do I plan to ease it off the Boostane and change some things in the IAT settings for the timing.
In theory I should be able to beat my 12.80 this weekend, weather permitting.

In this where we start chanting Nitrous! Nitrous!........?

Next weekend I should be able to post the next video, 50 shot of Nitrous in 4th gear. LOL

Back