2018 Platinum starts without key | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Platinum starts without key

That is what the warranty is for.

Let the dealer scratch their head for a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m still under 36k. You think I should just bring it in to the dealer?
As others have said, yes, definitely take it to the dealer. While there, ask them why they only provided 1 key fob when all vehicles come with 2. They should have given you a second one as part of the deal. See if they will do something for you on that issue.

Peter

As others have said, yes, definitely take it to the dealer. While there, ask them why they only provided 1 key fob when all vehicles come with 2. They should have given you a second one as part of the deal. See if they will do something for you on that issue.

Peter

I’ll take it in next week. I did ask about the key when I bought it and they said it’s about 50/50 on a used vehicle whether they have 1 or 2 keys. I’m not really expecting they can do much about the second key but I will see if they can figure out why it operates normally without any key present.

I’ll take it in next week. I did ask about the key when I bought it and they said it’s about 50/50 on a used vehicle whether they have 1 or 2 keys. I’m not really expecting they can do much about the second key but I will see if they can figure out why it operates normally without any key present.

You should always ask for 2 keys when purchasing a vehicle(new or used)....especially from a dealer.
Yes, bring it in and have them sort it out.

On my 19 Limited, if I start the car with the fob in my pocket and then exit the car with motor running, I get a chime and a message pops up on the left display saying "No fob detected". If you don't get this message then I would think there is another fob still in the car somewhere.

On my 19 Limited, if I start the car with the fob in my pocket and then exit the car with motor running, I get a chime and a message pops up on the left display saying "No fob detected". If you don't get this message then I would think there is another fob still in the car somewhere.
In that case his doors would have automatically unlocked when he closed a locked door. They didn't. That to me indicates no key was detected in the cabin.

Peter

You need to have the programming read and see if the smart unlock is enabled or disabled. That is going to be key to determining what is going on. No pun intended.

in fact if you want to send me your VIN via conversation I will verify if its a select-able feature in the dealer programming.

Other places to look for the mystery FOB. In the spare tire well and under the spare tire, or velcoed under the dash or under the coin holder. And even inside of the air filter box. Don't laugh...seen keys there before.

In that case his doors would have automatically unlocked when he closed a locked door. They didn't. That to me indicates no key was detected in the cabin.

Peter
Not saying it shouldn't unlock, but I had a situation with my 2016 Sport...

I was on a side street in AC NJ & stopped to take my CB antenna off before parking in the parking garage. My car was running...got out, shut the DS door, took off the antenna & closed the tailgate. Then I noticed the car horn didn't beep when I got out. Seems that the keyfob, my phone and wallet were all sitting in the console cupholders and I was left standing in the street...(I had not memorized the door code).

After getting charged twice by the locksmith (another long story) I was able to continue my day. I tried this scenario when I got home and the car would not stay locked.

In this case, I am wagering that there is a fob in the vehicle somewhere. There are holes in the carpet under the seats. Check to see if the fob fell into those locations too.

Other places to look for the mystery FOB. In the spare tire well and under the spare tire, or velcoed under the dash or under the coin holder. And even inside of the air filter box. Don't laugh...seen keys there before.
I tried starting it with the key placed at the rearmost position of the cargo area and the Explorer did start. However, with the driver's door open I tripped the lock button and when the door was closed I got a double honk and the door unlocked. That is the way it should work. The OP's door did not unlock as it should have if the fob was inside. Will have to wait to see if the Smart Unlock is a feature that can be disabled.

Peter

Not sure if it was covered, but what happens if the car is started and driven several miles away while the 1 key is left at the house? Can the vehicle be shut off and then after 5-10 minutes or so, can it be restarted and driven back home? Can you lock it and leave it, then access it with the keypad and start and drive it away without the 1 key you have being anywhere near the vehicle?

Did you get any carfax history on this vehicle? Any accident/flood/salvage/fleet usage history? Any history on prior owner? Was it a demo vehicle?

People do strange stuff with their vehicles. It wouldn't surprise me if a fob was hidden in the vehicle as jmr said earlier so the owner never had to carry it with him and presumably just used the keypad to gain access. If your dealer/locksmith has a "sniffer", I would assume they could quickly check the interior to see if they can locate the fob without having to tear anything apart. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out the car had problems and that is why the previous owner got rid of it.

Best of luck.

Not sure if it was covered, but what happens if the car is started and driven several miles away while the 1 key is left at the house? Can the vehicle be shut off and then after 5-10 minutes or so, can it be restarted and driven back home? Can you lock it and leave it, then access it with the keypad and start and drive it away without the 1 key you have being anywhere near the vehicle?

Did you get any carfax history on this vehicle? Any accident/flood/salvage/fleet usage history? Any history on prior owner? Was it a demo vehicle?

People do strange stuff with their vehicles. It wouldn't surprise me if a fob was hidden in the vehicle as jmr said earlier so the owner never had to carry it with him and presumably just used the keypad to gain access. If your dealer/locksmith has a "sniffer", I would assume they could quickly check the interior to see if they can locate the fob without having to tear anything apart. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out the car had problems and that is why the previous owner got rid of it.

Best of luck.

That's what the guy in the office next to me at work does, he leaves the fob in his f150 and uses the keypad to get in his truck, he does not like carrying his keys around.

The mystery continues......
I have to say, a part of me is still a bit disappointed in the lack of follow-up on the leaving town and locking someone in the vehicle stuff. I was thinking less Christine and more Criminal Minds/Blindspot/Blacklist/similar TV show...

Still waiting to get an answer to Jason's question about whether or not there is a Smart Unlock feature that can be disabled. Not sure if the OP has sent him his VIN. That might provide a clue.

Peter

Best of luck.
This is EXACTLY what is going on. My dealer does this with his demo vehicle.

Still waiting to get an answer to Jason's question about whether or not there is a Smart Unlock feature that can be disabled. Not sure if the OP has sent him his VIN. That might provide a clue.

Peter

Currently there is no setting to disable it on my vehicle. I’ve searched everywhere that’s been recommended and haven’t found a key. I’ll be taking it to a dealer next week to see if they can tell me anything.

I haven’t had a chance to do more testing on it but I’ll be doing that early next week also to confirm it’s happening in all scenarios.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would take you five minutes to leave your fob in your house and go drive the explorer and see how far you go. This would 100% confirm if you have a hidden fob in your car or not.

Back