Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
All signs leads "yes", as going with a longitudinal engine, they can use a beefier transmission+PTU and keep the traditional external water pump.

Why do you say all signs are leading to an external water pump? When I look at the 2019 F 150 they show six engine options two of which are 3.5 L engines. An 3.5 L EcoBoost and a H.O. 3.5 L EcoBoost. Do these engines mounted longitudinally have external or internal water pumps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.5 EB F150s are external mounted and take about 3 hours to do.

YAY!!!! My engine is done lol. I was in love with your Explorer and wanted to get you a younger sibling, maybe 2020, but now that you've let me down I don't know..
It's such a pain looking for an engine! I have a 2011 and definitely don't want to spend more than $3,500 to fix it since I will only have it for another 2-3 years.
I'm having trouble finding the engine, a lot of places have the 3.7L and I need a 3.5L V6 :(

Poo Poo- how many miles did you have on old motor?

Keith N, I had 145,000 miles 80% highway with not much brake tapping. Oil changes regularly and maintained well. I work with mechanics who are familiar with ford and they said even with that many miles it still shouldn’t have killed the engine. Usually other cars you just replace the pump and that’s it.

Thanks
I feel for you. I’m actually considering dumping my 11 with 105k because I don’t trust it and don’t want to deal with this problem which will happen sooner or later. Don’t want to spend $1500-2000 on pre emptive repair either.

Thanks
I feel for you. I’m actually considering dumping my 11 with 105k because I don’t trust it and don’t want to deal with this problem which will happen sooner or later. Don’t want to spend $1500-2000 on pre emptive repair either.

I mean I loved the Explorer up until this issue. It gave no warning sign and luckily I was almost home when it was failing. I put myself on the class action lawsuit that they have for the engine design so if anything I hope I get the money back I put into fixing it

Funny how CR reports these to have pretty poor reliability, with exception of water pump. Cooling system is one of its better marks for 2011. Wonder what their sample size is.

I was 'sampled' by both CR and JD Power on my last 3 vehicles,

Peter

I just see a product called kseal which fix coolant leak, some people say there is no issue using it to prevent leak.

Has anyone tried to use kseal , maybe it will reduce the chance of gasket leak so coolant won't go into engine?

I don’t buy there was room theory. Toyota had the water pump on outside of the 3.5 liter v6 in rav 4. That’s a class smalller suv than explorer. Nobody here knows the real reasons. Only ford.

Keith

It has been posted many times.. it is internal because the engine would not fit with an external pump. I do not think Ford realised these would fail at the rate they do and being they have redesigned the water pump a few times shows they know it is an issue. Despite that, it isnt like Ford can redesign it.. this version of the 3.5 is practically obsolete after this current model year.

Just as another data point...

The 2017-2019 Ford Fusion Sport has a 2.7L EcoBoost V6 under the hood with an external water pump. The 2.7 is essentially the same as the truck's 2.7 with a few minor differences. There's more than enough room for an external water pump and belt on the Taurus/Explorer. My guess is that Ford didn't want to re-design the engine mount to accommodate this routing. The 2.7 has the thermostat housing at the water pump area as well, so the Fusion Sport requires the engine mount to be removed to service it. The Explorer/Taurus thermostat is located at the rear of the block (driver side).

I just sold my 11 with 105k. It was a tough choice, as it is a nice vehicle overall, but in the end, I just don't want to deal with water pump failure as it ages and the odds increase. I don't want to be on a long drive either and hope the water pump is not leaking into the oil... If Ford had offered extended coverage, I am sure I would have kept it longer. It was also a good opportunity for me to downsize, as we don't really need the 3 rows any longer. It will be interesting how the class action lawsuit is resolved.

Replaced my engine..$2,400, used engine. Explorer feels good and now I’m getting better gas mileage. Was getting between 18-20 street and highway and now I’ve been about 20-25.
:chug:

I think $2400 is the best price I have seen to date and is nearly as much as just a water pump replacement at some dealers. Nice score.

Just as another data point...

The 2017-2019 Ford Fusion Sport has a 2.7L EcoBoost V6 under the hood with an external water pump. The 2.7 is essentially the same as the truck's 2.7 with a few minor differences. There's more than enough room for an external water pump and belt on the Taurus/Explorer. My guess is that Ford didn't want to re-design the engine mount to accommodate this routing. The 2.7 has the thermostat housing at the water pump area as well, so the Fusion Sport requires the engine mount to be removed to service it. The Explorer/Taurus thermostat is located at the rear of the block (driver side).

Why are you trying to compare a 2.7 and a 3.5 as if they are the same? A fusion has zero in common as an Explorer/Flex/Taurus.

Why are you trying to compare a 2.7 and a 3.5 as if they are the same? A fusion has zero in common as an Explorer/Flex/Taurus.

Fusion is CD3, smaller than the D3/D4 used for Explorer, yet could fit an external water pump with a truck 2.7 EB.

Fusion is CD3, smaller than the D3/D4 used for Explorer, yet could fit an external water pump with a truck 2.7 EB.

So you are saying because a smaller engine could fit in a smaller vehicle, a larger engine should fit in a larger vehicle the same way? Lol, doesn't work that way, there is far more involved then that.

The fact is, it doesn't fit.. it doesnt fit in the Explorer, doesn't fit in the Flex and doesn't fit in the Taurus.

So you are saying because a smaller engine could fit in a smaller vehicle, a larger engine should fit in a larger vehicle the same way? Lol, doesn't work that way, there is far more involved then that.

The fact is, it doesn't fit.. it doesnt fit in the Explorer, doesn't fit in the Flex and doesn't fit in the Taurus.

You made me go outside and measure the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 in my Fusion Sport with the 3.5L in my Explorer.

It looks like the 2.7 is actually wider (longer from crank pulley to the 6F55) engine than the 3.5L by maybe an inch or two at most. But looking closer at the Fusion (CD3) and the Explorer (D3/D4), the D3/D4 has a subframe right next to the motor mount area where the external water pump would be installed. There's also a lot of plumbing associated with an external pump. The Fusion is a smaller car, but the CD3 platform is newer so the subframe isn't there and is relocated. The smaller car has enough room for the external water pump and all that plumbing with the bigger engine. The Edge Sport and now Edge ST have the same 2.7L EcoBoost as the Fusion Sport (even 99% the same tuning), so they both have external water pumps.

I guess 2020 is a good as time as any for the new CD6 based Explorer. Time to retire D3/D4 after 20 years of service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it normal for the coolant level when cold to bounce around? Checked coolant this morning and it went up 1/2 inch or so from about 2 days ago, same time, same cold engine. Nobody added any coolant.
No oil drops in coolant. Oil looks ok.
Thought it was trending down recently, as it seemed to be going down slightly.... cap is always tight.

Thoughts?

Back