• Register Today It's free!

Clay Bar treatement

Diveshard

Reaction score
City, State
Gatineau, QC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT V6
It feels like xmas.:party: Just received the following as I'm getting ready to do a major spring cleanup and detailing of my beloved X. After spending a month researching clay bar treatments I went with the below purchases. Will post before and after pics so stay tuned. Finally spring is here. Fred

Chemical Guys MIC3036 Orange Banger Extra Thick Microfiber Towel
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BQYCJNU/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item_image

Adam's Spray Wax - Carnauba Infused Quick Detailer Spray Polish with The Most Advanced Formula on The Market for Ultimate Protection, High Gloss & A Streak Free Finish
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07HXRB5CD/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item_image

Chemical Guys Cly_113 OG Clay Bar & Luber Synthetic Lubricant Kit, Light/Medium Duty
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186RUIGO/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you clay bar, you really should follow it up with a ' proper' wax...such as a paste wax.

The spray wax will help, but the paste will last longer and protect better.

Follow up the paste with spray wax every couple weeks(after washing of course).

I've clayed my Ex a few times and I was surprised how little was pulled out compared to my old Mazda. It did make a difference and well worth it, just not as extreme as the old car.

Cool thanks for that. Was aware I would need to respray the wax but I’m a ´´clean my car nut case ´´ so dont mind

I use "Mother's Speed Clay 2.0" and follow up with Turtle Wax "Ice" spray wax.
Seems to work great and the Mother's Speed Clay unit is a joy to use compared to an actual clay bar.

Yeah but any clay bar you get you mold a piece off to your liking.

Yeah but any clay bar you get you mold a piece off to your liking.

Yup.
When I open a new clay bar, I break each bar into 3-4 pieces for a few reasons.
One is in case you drop it on the ground. Once that clay bar hits the ground, throw it out. Breaking into smaller pieces means you only throw out a fraction of a bar instead of a full bar.
Also, the smaller pieces are easier to work with. You don't need a massive chunk of clay.

I just get Mothers regular clay bar kit and go to town. I think I can clay my Ex 3-4 times per kit...so about 4 years worth of claying once per year.

I've read that the surface prep towel can cause marring and usually requires polishing(correcting) afterwards. I've never used it, so I'm just going off what I've read online(so it has to be true).

For me(and I am ****),wash,clay(I use Mothers as well),polish with a porter cable buffer using Lake Country pads using Menzerna 3 in 1 polish,seal with 4 star UPP,and finally wax with Pinnacle Souveran. This takes me a fell weekend,but I don’t mind. I only do this much once maybe twice a year.

After spending a month researching clay bar treatments I went with the below purchases.
Holy carp! You spent a month researching clay bars?

Did you come across all the alternatives folks are using? There are some folks getting excellent results with a few different modeling clays and even plumbers putty (very similar according to MSDS).

I was going to say I get usually a cheap clay bar kit because other than a few differences they are all the same. The one that actually tells you the grit equivalents - is a bit different. Everything else is the same.

Meguiars is usually the cheapest per lbs of the clay. Lube - 1 oz car soap to 18-20 oz of water. cheap, extremely effective - safe for any polish I want to put on after.

There is a new rubber device to put on the RO buffer I think it's called nano-skin or something - I hear good things but never tried one yet.

I too cut the clay - and put the remainder in a zip lockbag. I use one piece for 1/2 the car and one piece for the other half - unless I have help. Roof/pillars/hood top/trunk top (on my car) and front fenders and clip - throw away. second piece - doors to the cut line, rear fender to cut line, then cut line to bottom of the doors and finally bottom of rear fender. OH and one piece for all windows, yes clay bar your windows.

ALso I don't use any paste wax anything or anything that is a wax. I use polymer spray sealants. I like Optimum products - it does supposedly have carnuba in it for the spary wax - but it is also the polyner sealant that is in their final finish too.

Regardless - good luck and enjoy. my 2016 explorer has only had this done to it once - I guess it's time to retreat.

If anyone is looking for a vehicle to practice on, my 2016 Sport is available...I'm in PA

I use Klasse products, last between 6 to 12 months. Trying new Mothers Cmx this weekend. Bought new Optimum tire gel (water based).

Autogeek is great place to get chemicals.

Wow! This info is great. I'm disappointed in my local drive thru car wash and feel like these tips might solve the sort of dirt-scum-film problem that persists after washing. Paying extra to have someone wipe the door jams and squirt goo on the tires is disappointing when spots are missed outright and the less than spectacular not-so-glossy look is all you get. Thanks a bunch!

Wow! This info is great. I'm disappointed in my local drive thru car wash and feel like these tips might solve the sort of dirt-scum-film problem that persists after washing. Paying extra to have someone wipe the door jams and squirt goo on the tires is disappointing when spots are missed outright and the less than spectacular not-so-glossy look is all you get. Thanks a bunch!

Local drive through car wash is good for quick clean, but it won't replace a good hand wash, clay bar, and wax.

In the winter, I go to the do it yourself wash and quick spray of wax and rinse. No drying except maybe windows and door jambs.

In the spring, I get out the hose and bucket and do a thorough wash and wax. I sometimes clay bar, but not every spring. I usually put a coat of wax on in the spring and follow up throughout summer with quick wax(spray on, wipe off).

After the 'spring cleaning' the Ex looks good and makes me feel good as well.

After claying I would put down some polish, then sealant, than wax, then QD every other day or so to maintain. Maybe put another coat of wax in a couple of months. The sealant will last for months, the was is a sacraficial lamb so to speak.

After claying I would put down some polish, then sealant, than wax, then QD every other day or so to maintain. Maybe put another coat of wax in a couple of months. The sealant will last for months, the was is a sacraficial lamb so to speak.
Just about what I do. Now I find the dreaded bubble on the leading edge of the hood will visit the dealer soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back