4WD Issue - Can shift into LOW but not out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD Issue - Can shift into LOW but not out

Reaction score
City, State
Old Fort, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 4WD
Issue with my 97 XLT that I'd like to get resolved as I'll be doing more offroading this year.

4WD for the most part is fine, in and out of high with no problem. The computer can kick it on and off as needed without any fuss. An issue I'm running into is 4WD LOW, it'll shift into it but won't come out. The first time it happened I just let it sit for a few minutes and when I went out to start it and check it it was back to normal. Second time I had to unhook the battery for a second and reconnect it, 4WD was back to auto when I started it up.

To me at least the issue seems more electronic than anything given that it'll let go of low when the power is cut. Maybe the module?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is likely a sticky shift motor since it is intermittent.
I have to say: to shift to and from LOW range you must be in NEUTRAL and at a stop

If it does not come out of low range this way, try backing up a couple of feet then try again.
If that does not work try smacking the side of the shift motor with a light hammer while the switch is in low range
Did that work?

No joy on tapping the shift motor, now it's not wanting to shift into LOW at all. I'm probably gonna try replacing the shift motor at some point in the future.

good idea
There is a manual shifter you can buy, even a "twin stick" option
Is your 97 control trac AWD? (does the switch say 4auto, does truck have a control trac badge on the tailgate)
You can also usually repair the shift motor you have pretty easily, they can be opened, cleaned, repaired and put back together and last another 22 years

Yeah it's Control Trac. It was my understanding that the AWD systems were for the 5.0s and that CT was just on demand 4x4.

I used to have trouble getting mine in and out of low 4x4, I did the control trac brown wire mod and it's been working Great since.
I spliced into the wire under the seat. Here's my write up on it, with some pic's.

control trac 4wd brown wire mod

^ ?? The brown wire mod just disables front wheel activation, electric clutch for 4 -high, should not have any effect on getting into and out of 4 low.

^ ?? The brown wire mod just disables front wheel activation, electric clutch for 4 -high, should not have any effect on getting into and out of 4 low.

It did on mine, I keep the toggle switch off and then turn the 4x4 switch to low than give it power with the toggle switch and in reverse order to turn off.

I don't plan on doing any sort of mod jobs with my Explorer but it's def something to keep in mind. Thanks guys, and I'll update when I do the shift motor replacement/repair.

Back