Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

I'm not having a problem with mine. But just curious, how do I know if I have a 4G TCU modem?

1. You have to have Sync 3
2. Look in your Sync 3 settings to see if your vehicle has its own wi-fi/hotspot

If so, you have the modem...this allows FordPass to connect with your vehicle.

Also, look at your antenna...if it’s the shark fin look and has the antenna mast, then I’m pretty sure you have a Modem. If it’s only the shark fin and no mast, then no modem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not having a problem with mine. But just curious, how do I know if I have a 4G TCU modem?
I'm not positive but I believe it is part of the Driver Connect package. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Peter

1. You have to have Sync 3
2. Look in your Sync 3 settings to see if your vehicle has its own wi-fi/hotspot

If so, you have the modem...this allows FordPass to connect with your vehicle.

Also, look at your antenna...if it’s the shark fin look and has the antenna mast, then I’m pretty sure you have a Modem. If it’s only the shark fin and no mast, then no modem.
I must have it then. Guess I'm just lucky with Sirius.

Recently rejoined the Forum, I have a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT I bough new in December 2018, Sirius XM worked fine until rough 4 weeks ago. Start engine tune on radio, Sirius XM comes on fine, few minutes later lost the signal, status says "acquiring signal" like every one else is saying. Some days works fine other not so much. I don't feel like making a service appointment if they don't have a fix. Has anyone had success at the dealer. I checked and see no Technical Service Bulletin on this subject. Never has one issue with my 2016 Explorer.

I don't think there is really anything to check. It either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't then they will replace the antenna but if it is working I doubt they would do anything since it is a TSB and not a Recall.

Peter
Peter
Is there a TSB on this issue, I couldn't find one.
Thanks
Bobbie

Recently rejoined the Forum, I have a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT I bough new in December 2018, Sirius XM worked fine until rough 4 weeks ago. Start engine tune on radio, Sirius XM comes on fine, few minutes later lost the signal, status says "acquiring signal" like every one else is saying. Some days works fine other not so much. I don't feel like making a service appointment if they don't have a fix. Has anyone had success at the dealer. I checked and see no Technical Service Bulletin on this subject. Never has one issue with my 2016 Explorer.

There is a TSB for this issue...read the posts above (#277) or do a search for the TSB thread.

Peter
Is there a TSB on this issue, I couldn't find one.
Thanks
Bobbie
Welcome back to the Forum Bobbie.:wave:
As 15Limited mentioned, see post 277 for the TSB info. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome back to the Forum Bobbie.:wave:
As 15Limited mentioned, see post 277 for the TSB info. Good luck.

Peter
Thanks finally figured out how to find post 277, novice at forums!
Bobbie

Courtesy of ttpete...thank you! This TSB applies to 2018 & 2019 Explorers built on/before 13 Nov 2018 with the 4G antenna.
Thanks for posting. I had this fix applied 3-20-19 on my 2018 Explorer purchased 1-15-18. I've had the acquiring XM problem which only started after the free 6 month trial subscription ran out, funny about that! XM was no help and said the subscription change had no affect on my problem, right! Battled with it intermittently from July 2018 to just this week. The only way to bring it back was to shut off XM, turn car off, restart car then activate XM. Fix seems to work but too early to tell. It would be nice to get a detailed explanation of the failure mode. We'll stand by, hope fix holds.

Thanks for posting. I had this fix applied 3-20-19 on my 2018 Explorer purchased 1-15-18. I've had the acquiring XM problem which only started after the free 6 month trial subscription ran out, funny about that! XM was no help and said the subscription change had no affect on my problem, right! Battled with it intermittently from July 2018 to just this week. The only way to bring it back was to shut off XM, turn car off, restart car then activate XM. Fix seems to work but too early to tell. It would be nice to get a detailed explanation of the failure mode. We'll stand by, hope fix holds.
Yes what you describe as a "fix" works, for me it has been short term, issue comes back. There is a Ford Technical Service Bulletin on this, see thread number 277 above. Took it to the dealer bulletin in hand, radio working at the time, naturally they said I don't have a problem. Two days later same old problem came back. I did a video showing that the XM was on, turned the volume up and down to prove there was no sound. Sent an email to the service guy and the GM of the dealership. Got a call back from the service guy saying they have a "new" tool to check the wiring continuity, plus they have a new antennae in stock. Have another appointment week after next. I will post the out come.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you read back through this thread you will find that members have had this issue occur at various times after acquiring their 2018 Explorer. SiriusXM was correct in saying the expiration of the free trial didn't cause the issue. Many had this happen while still in the free trial period. Replacement of the antenna is the 'fix'. No explanation was ever given, to my knowledge, as to the exact cause of this issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you read back through this thread you will find that members have had this issue occur at various times after acquiring their 2018 Explorer. SiriusXM was correct in saying the expiration of the free trial didn't cause the issue. Many had this happen while still in the free trial period. Replacement of the antenna is the 'fix'. No explanation was ever given, to my knowledge, as to the exact cause of this issue.

Peter

Sorry, should have explained better. The "fix" I referred to is TSB 18-2358 which was applied 3-20-19. To operate the XM radio prior to that, the XM radio had to be turned off, engine stopped, engine restarted then XM turned on.

On my second service visit the Sirius XM antenna was replaced, XM has been working fine since. Thanks to all who helped guide me through this process.

Anyone have any signal issues with Sirius sat radio? Lately mine keeps dropping out and it shows acquiring satellite signal on the screen. It happens mostly when there is an overcast day and/or if it's raining, when there is clear skies it works fine. It started last week. Is it a bad antenna, loose connection, or does this generation explorers have a weak antenna?

After I read what I wrote I'm guessing it is an issue that just happened because it was fine from Dec 21st when I bought it until last week. Most likely its a faulty antenna but it works well enough when I have clear skies to not be an issue.

BTW I've had and used sat radio in my vehicles since 2007 and this is the first time I've had signal issues.

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Anyone have any signal issues with Sirius sat radio? Lately mine keeps dropping out and it shows acquiring satellite signal on the screen. It happens mostly when there is an overcast day and/or if it's raining, when there is clear skies it works fine. It started last week. Is it a bad antenna, loose connection, or does this generation explorers have a weak antenna?

After I read what I wrote I'm guessing it is an issue that just happened because it was fine from Dec 21st when I bought it until last week. Most likely its a faulty antenna but it works well enough when I have clear skies to not be an issue.

BTW I've had and used sat radio in my vehicles since 2007 and this is the first time I've had signal issues.

See post #277...there is a Service Bulletin which describes how to fix the issue you are having.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So mine was fine for last 5 mos of ownership, now I am getting it frequently.....This blows, not looking forward to the dealer ripping down my headliner for the fix. I have enough rattles now, could only imagine what it will be like after the fix.

Back