• Register Today It's free!

Rear cup holder issue

hambone83

Reaction score
City, State
Central Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I just purchased a 2012 Explorer Limited. Noticed that the rear cupholder (middle under the AC/heat controls) opens up as you take off, it does not latch on, basically loose.

Is there a mechanism that it might have popped out? tension, etc.?
I cannot find any details on searching this forum.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just purchased a 2012 Explorer Limited. Noticed that the rear cupholder (middle under the AC/heat controls) opens up as you take off, it does not latch on, basically loose.

Is there a mechanism that it might have popped out? tension, etc.?
I cannot find any details on searching this forum.

Thanks!

There should be a tension spring inside.. ours is very rigid. If you're under warranty take it in.

Thanks, I just checked and looks like the spring is missing. I will have to take it in sometimes.

Ours broke on the test drive, got it replaced and has been fine ever since. Of coarse the function of it holding cups is another story.

How To Fix Rear Cup Holder

So my mom's 2012 Ford Explorer Rear Cup Holder has come detatched and I can't quite figure out how to reattach it specifically the Spring part of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

usually it's just a spring loaded clip that you have to apply some mild pressure to on the sides. I can't find pics for the rear cupholders at the moment but you can find similar spring loaded clips if you google that might help give you an idea. I'm sure if you swing by your local dealer a tech would run out and show you real fast.

I would also be interested if someone chimes in with a fix for this. Same thing happened to mine and I can't seem to get it back in with the proper tension to stay up. It just falls right back down. It's frustrating me because it shouldn't be this difficult! I'm sure it's something small I've been overlooking and admittedly I haven't spent much time trying to re-attach it.

Ours broke on the test drive, got it replaced and has been fine ever since. Of coarse the function of it holding cups is another story.

Oh I totally agree, so the rear cup holder have a "bottles with lids only restriction" now ... at least in my Ex :D

Hey....has anyone had their rear cup holder come loose? The car wash weenies somehow bumped it so now it won't close all the way (see pic). YouTube has a neat video on how to fix it but the guy has the back part of the console already disassembled and doesn't tell how he got that done. Then another one disassembled the center console completely and fails to show how he got it out. Anyway, has anyone had this happen and then been able to fix? If so, can you please explain how it is done? Virtual cookies are the reward! Thanks!

20190324_153227.jpg

20190324_153249.jpg

20190324_153309.jpg

If you remove it completely can you see what the obstruction is?

Peter

I'm afraid to because it feels like something will break. Normally it folds into the space but something is keeping it from folding. The video I saw shows the whole plastic section on the back of the console removed and the guy was able to move it back and forth. There is a spring inside that is loose but that shouldn't keep it from folding. Here is the link if you want to look....

Automotive - YouTube

Thanks....

I merged your thread with this one. A little voice kept telling me that this was indeed discussed before but there is no help in opening the console here. I believe that was discussed in another thread about the power plug being loose. Don't have time to look for that now.

Peter

Thanks... I found this too but he it only shows how to fix the spring. But doesn't show how to remove it or how to put it back. All the other videos skip the part on how to remove the back section of the center console to get to this $#@# cup holder.... I will run by the dealer and see what they suggest...
Thanks again!

I looked at it again and he says you can do this without removing the back... I'll give it a try and maybe if the cup holder gods are in a good mood, it will work!

so I just recently bought a used 2012 ford explorer xlt and had to fix rear cup holders, luckily the spring was still in there just fell out. here are some photos of the process.
20210414_123440_LI.jpg

Open cup holder in order to be able to pull off, top will have a small lip to slide up off.
20210414_123452.jpg
20210414_123529.jpg
20210414_123538.jpg
20210414_123543.jpg
20210414_123627_LI.jpg
20210414_124018.jpg

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for posting.

Peter

Back