Felt Like I blew a Tire, But I didn't. Transmission? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Felt Like I blew a Tire, But I didn't. Transmission?

same thing happened to my brother he drove around with loose lug nuts for quite a while "who knows how long" and they all eventually sheared off causing a fair amount of damage.... his is a 2004 and we couldn't replace the studs with out getting the hub pressed out.... no clearance from behind so I made him replace the hub and bearing while the shop was doing the repair...... you could toss in 20 lbs of marbles in a tire and he wouldn't feel a problem until its too late and then call a tow truck for a jump start
Yeah it was quite the pain to replace those studs. Like Kydirtscooter said, I had to punch out the small hole in the dust shield to have enough clearance back there to fit in the new studs.
Not to mention the difficulty of knocking the old ones out.
Spent a while in the gas station parking lot swapping them out but it's good now and the grinding noise was gone as soon as the new studs and wheel was back on there.
Thanks a ton for everyone's help, I'm glad it wasn't related to my transmission..
Anyone have any idea why I keep breaking studs though? This is the 3rd time I've changed studs on this truck. First 2 times were on the front.

well what usually happens is people either change to the steel rusted up spare and the rust wears away leaving a loose wheel or you have those horrible steel wheels with the fake chrome plastic covers bonded to the rim and same thing happens... also don't exceed 100 ft lbs on the lugs because after that point it loses the whole "its now an assembly" and stretches the studs to a breaking point.... overtightened and under tightened lugs become a real issue if you have aftermarket universal rims that are lug-centric and not hub-centric and that puts all the stress on the studs and not that little lip you use to hold the wheel before you line up the holes

I think I may have the plastic coated rims you're talking about.
But the thing's running.. It's just not running the best..
I have quite a bit of power, but it almost comes and goes. I can feel it having more power at random.
I have been seeing a misfire on #3 so I replaced the plug and coil. It stopped a while and had much more power after that.
Now the code is back, along with quite a few others.. Here they are.
P0303 - Misfire on 3
P0053 - Heater Resistance Bank 1 02 Sensor
P0128 - Coolant Thermostat
P0300 - Random Misfire
P0301 - Misfire on 1
P0340 - Camshaft Sensor Circuit
P2195 - 02 Sensor stuck lean Bank 1
P0040 - 02 Sensors Signals Swapped

When I push the gas It goes, but it starts shaking after a second. It also shakes while trying to just hold the RPMs steady.
Also, When I sit still idling for a few minutes. (At a red light/stop sign) When I accelerate a bunch of white smoke comes out the exhaust.
I assumed it was unburnt fuel finally burning with the new coils/plugs.

Back