Looking to buy 02-05 Explorer - looking for suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy 02-05 Explorer - looking for suggestions

Spades

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac \/8
Im looking into 02-05 Explorer, but have read so many reviews and horror stories about the transmission. Do the V6 & V8 get the same 5-speed auto transmission? Is one more problematic than the other? Or is it certain years to avoid maybe? I will be towing a 2400 pound 18' boat with it, nothing too crazy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V8 is a little better but still nothing to write home about.

V8 is far more simple and robust design. It was designed and built in America. So therefore easy to service, simple, and reliable.

The V6 was designed and built in Germany. Over complicated, issues, and expensive to maintain.

Im looking into 02-05 Explorer, but have read so many reviews and horror stories about the transmission. Do the V6 & V8 get the same 5-speed auto transmission? Is one more problematic than the other? Or is it certain years to avoid maybe? I will be towing a 2400 pound 18' boat with it, nothing too crazy.
@Spades
Yes, they do. Early on 5R55W, later 5R55S, both alike except for one gear ratio, 2nd. I believe it was. They are not the horrible transmissions from stories told, statistically. They were used in so many thousands upon thousands of vehicles, that horror stories abound but few relate the good experiences. My '04 has 165,000 miles on the trans. and 4.0 eng. without any real problems.

One story I heard was that early Gen IIIs with 4.0 had more than expected timing chain guide failures, and that the guide material was upgraded in '03 or '-04. I've had no issues with them.
My '04 runs as smooth as can be. It was the first year with "drive-by-wire"throttle body, I think. imp

I would look for an 05 V8 4x4 with the tow package that has been maintained well.

As far as I recall, the 5R55S was used in the later Mustang, Explorer, Mountaineer, Aviator, Thunderbird, Lincoln LS and Jaguar Stype.i may have missed a vehicle. Lots of 5r55s out there.

is there a reason for the 4x4 from a reliability stand point?

Also, i noticed the Aviators have pretty decent reviews, especially with regards to the transmission failure comparing to Explorers. Since the Aviators only came in V8 im thinking the V8 Explorers have less transmission issues?

I would say 4x4 in case you decide to get a bigger boat. I have seen some ramps get pretty slick and red or fwd only has trouble.

Personally I would stay away from the AWD versions as they don't have low range and the viscous couplers can be troublesome.

The Aviator is AWD, never made with 4wd with low range. I have not looked into making an Aviator 4wd with low range.

Echoing others, I think the trans issue is overblown.
Yes, there are known problems having something to do with the servo bore. There is also a fix for it.

But my 2004 V8 4WD has 186,000 trouble free miles on the orginal transmission and fluid.

Back