How Clear B2290 Occupant Classification System DTC?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Clear B2290 Occupant Classification System DTC??

Havfun

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer EB
Recently the battery in my 2010 4.0L EB got real weak. The airbag light came on and I found the B2290 code in the computer. This code is part of the Occupant Classification System or OCS. The airbag light turned on and off a few times but the B2290 remained. After replacing the battery the airbag light went away for good but the B2290 remains and won't go away by the usual clearing via my scanner or disconnecting the battery.
I've poked around some threads and read that the airbag light and possibly the B2290 code can be caused by a failing battery and since they both happened at the same time I'm hoping its nothing more than that. The problem is I don't know how to clear the code without bothering the dealer or buying a Ford Scanner. I would really like to clear the code before messing around with the OCS since its likely there is no longer a problem now that the battery is new. Does anyone know how this code can be cleared without buying a Ford Scanner??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your scanner read the code then it should be able to clear it. If you did clear it with your scanner and it came back then you actually have a problem. Check the connector under the passenger seat that is a common one to get corroded or loose and cause that code. If that doesn't fix it you may have to replace the passenger seat sensor.

What scanner do you have?

If your scanner read the code then it should be able to clear it. If you did clear it with your scanner and it came back then you actually have a problem. Check the connector under the passenger seat that is a common one to get corroded or loose and cause that code. If that doesn't fix it you may have to replace the passenger seat sensor.

What scanner do you have?
I don't know for sure but I've seen references that claim it needs a ford capable scanner to clear it. Also heard that it can't be cleared buy the usual disconnecting of battery. The following link talks about a varient of depowering the system he says works: SOLVED: Air bag light on code b2290 occupant classifcation - Fixya
I haven't tried that method yet and was hoping to get confirmation about it... a little nervous about power up the system with the KOEO. I use Torque Pro with the blue tooth module to read the B2290 code.

Forscan can probably do it... forscan.org
I'll check that out.

No it does not need a ford capable scanner I cleared mine with a uscan scanner. But check out forscan its the best software I have used and will do anything you need it to. Torque should also be able to clear the code though i have not used it.
I have never heard of powering it up with the koeo i i dont know if it may cause problems. Your best bet is to use the scanner.

No it does not need a ford capable scanner I cleared mine with a uscan scanner. But check out forscan its the best software I have used and will do anything you need it to. Torque should also be able to clear the code though i have not used it.
I have never heard of powering it up with the koeo i i dont know if it may cause problems. Your best bet is to use the scanner.
Thanks. I agree the scanner is the best bet. I will check out forescan. I'll need a bluetooth adapter for my laptop but that's no problem. I'll also look under the seat to see what I can find.
What was the passenger seat sensor you mentioned? Is that the pressure or weight sensor?

You can download it on your phone its called forscan lite and i think its around 5 dollars. And you are using torque so the bluetooth adapter should work on your computer also.

Yeah its the weight sensor in the seat. Again i don't know if its available seperatly from the entire seat.

Don't yet have forescan running. I checked the connectors under both front seats and they all look very good. Following is a more detailed report from Torque Pro. The B2290 is reported as "Other discovered fault codes" with the designation of "null." On the display there was a note saying "one gray code reported that might only be cleared by N drive cycles." Just a reminder there are no dashboard lights since I replaced the battery.
Any thoughts?
If there were a real problem like a bad sensor, wouldn't the OCS trigger the airbag light?
What does "gray code" and "null" refer to?
Here is the report from Torque Pro:
Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================
Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present
Current Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faults

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
B2290: null

End of report.

My best guess its a stored code not pending or active. Yes the ocs will trigger the light. When mine came on I cycled the key and it went to a stored code and the light went away. I believe I cleared the stored code before I changed the battery and it never came back.

Back