Feel like I'm being shunned!? ;) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Feel like I'm being shunned!? ;)

mbed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hi all,
I made two posts recently regarding my odd fuel pump issue...many views yet no replies (except one to myself to clarify...). Is it too odd of a problem? The truck is immovable (under it's own power) and am running out of graces borrowing friend's car...here are the posts:

2002 EB fuel pump wires to 3 pin connector?
and
2002 EB Crank/no-start vinE 4.0 SOHC fuel pressure puzzlement

More info: harness side connector has 0 or near 0 resistance at each pin on harness side connector to chassis ground...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I can suggest is getting a hold of a schematic of the wiring and try to decipher it. The Haynes manuals have drawings but you might need a magnifying glass to follow. Hopefully someone else has had experience with this and will respond.

Hi all,
I made two posts recently regarding my odd fuel pump issue...many views yet no replies (except one to myself to clarify...). Is it too odd of a problem? The truck is immovable (under it's own power) and am running out of graces borrowing friend's car...here are the posts:

2002 EB fuel pump wires to 3 pin connector?
and
2002 EB Crank/no-start vinE 4.0 SOHC fuel pressure puzzlement

More info: harness side connector has 0 or near 0 resistance at each pin on harness side connector to chassis ground...
I'll try to dig out my service manual tonight.

When you say "0 resistance" does that mean an open circuit? I'd expect to see open on 2 wires (hot for pump, signal ref for sending unit) and then nearly 0 resistance to chassis ground on the third (a common ground). I'll know more when I see the wiring chart.

I will retest again but what I am trying to convey is that with meter on resistance, when probes don't touch, it reads 1, and when touching, it reads 0.

I had the black probe to the sheet metal floor pan (with scraping to make good contact) and walked around each pin socket on the harness side with the red probe. It seemed each time it read 0 or very close to 0. Is a low, non-zero reading (e.g., ~3 or so) significantly different than 0?

I need to get some alligator clips, etc to do a better job of testing. Thanks for the reply!

Not sure what kind of a meter you are using but when reading resistance you should read "0" ohms when touching probes together and infinity or maximum resistance when held apart. I would just concentrate on determining the power wires to the pump and seeing if you have 12 volts to them when called for (ignition on). Initially when you say you once banged on the tank and it started to work indicates to me that you have a defective pump. Certainly check for loose or bad connections as well.

Back