1st gen explorer 5.5" lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen explorer 5.5" lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front might work (not sure about those radius arm brackets) but the rear certainly won’t.

I have 5.5 on mine by going with the tuff country lift (Ford Explorer Lift Kits - Tuff Country EZ-Ride), warrior shackles, custom coil spacers, extended brake lines and the FA600 pitman drop. I recommend the setup.

As a side note, I hit a curb at 45 and broke one of my tuff country brackets. 15 years installed and no receipt...they overnighted me a replacement no questions asked.

That RC kit seems to be pretty good value, plus with only 119k kms on my '92 Explorer it wouldnt surprise me if I'm still on original springs, so it would be good to replace.
RC has a pretty bad rep in these parts tho, but i guess you've had good luck with yours :)

Dammnit. I checked my warranty email and low and behold is tuff country not rough country (edited above). Drives me nuts that they have similar names.

Either way, I’ve been very happy with their equipment and service. Sorry about the confusion.

All good, still appreciate the advice from somebody who has already done what I'm planning :)
I guess the extra $$ for TC s RC is worth it then.

This would should work. https://shop.broncograveyard.com/55-inch-Standard-Lift-Kit/productinfo/83862/ Looks identical, but this one says for 4.0 engine, your link lists for the other ranger engine options.
For suspension kits, the front end of a gen1 Ex and and a similar year 4.0 Ranger are exactly the same.
The rear lift won’t work, as rangers are spring over and Ex’s are spring under.

This would should work. 5.5 inch Standard Lift Kit-Broncograveyard.com Looks identical, but this one says for 4.0 engine, your link lists for the other ranger engine options.
For suspension kits, the front end of a gen1 Ex and and a similar year 4.0 Ranger are exactly the same.
The rear lift won’t work, as rangers are spring over and Ex’s are spring under.

Thanks that's what I thought too about the Ex and Ranger, but being a noob I wasn't 100% sure.
I'm in Nova Scotia, so If I can buy a front bracket kit and source the springs and shocks locally that will save me a ton of $$.
I previously SAS'd an Xterra with a 8.8 SPOA so the rear isn't a big deal.

Skyjacker offers a lift system for Ford Ranger, from 1.5 to 6 inches; Personally install in my Explorer a 4 inch Tuff Country lift with 5.5 Procomp springs

ovrlndr, basically any ranger kit you look at, if it’s for 97 or older, the front lift will work on your gen1 Explorer, but the back won’t.
You can easily get 5-6” in the back by doing a spoa, you just need spring plate brackets for $20 or so.

Thanks, that just the info I needed.
I can handle the back no problem, but I'd hate to import a $1000+ of lift only to find it didn't fit.

Thanks, that just the info I needed.
I can handle the back no problem, but I'd hate to import a $1000+ of lift only to find it didn't fit.

I don’t know if you plan on daily driving after the lift or not, but the previous owner of mine hated the drop brackets for the sway bar and took it off completely. I drove it with and without the sway bar, and I prefer it with. You can buy extended links or you can make your own, which is how mine is done.

Mine is comprised of an extra set of end links from the junkyard and the appropriate amount of material to make it safe. I don’t have the exact specs on it, as it was my friends last modification before I took possession. I do know that he didn’t have near as much invested in making his own over buying them already made.

Thanks, good info to know :) !!
I've never had sway bars on any of my rigs, and my Explorer will be 80/20 wheeler/street so I can live without sway bars.

Superlift, Skyjacker, James Duff or Rough Country and some others all make a TTB lift for your truck (83-97 Ranger)
Your Gen I Explorer uses the Dana 35 TTB front suspension. The 1983-1997 Ranger also uses a TTB front suspension

As stated above the front ends are identical, any front bracket lift for a pre 97 Ranger will work with your Gen I Explorer (91-94)
The ranger rear leaf springs are over the axle
The Explorer leaf springs are under the axle, this is why the rear portion of the ranger lift will not work

To get 5" of lift from the rear of the explorer you simply re locate the leaf springs to the top of the axle, this is usually done by welding on new spring perches.
Superlift used to make a spring over axle conversion kit but our gen I trucks are simply getting to old to still market those kits

I am a big fan of Skyjacker lift kits and their extended radius arms
Skyjacker and James Duff drop brackets are stronger and better engineered then the competition in my opinion and Skyjacker has the best coil springs for our trucks (not as stiff)

Since you mentioned a solid axle in an Xrerra FYI the Gen I explorer is a natural fit for a SAS, it already has a steering gear box and is setup for coil springs and shock towers...something to consider

When you lift the TTB suspension with drop brackets basically you are not gaining any performance, you are merely moving the suspension further down from the frame, giving room for larger tires.
The new springs and shocks can make the truck ride better, but the raised center of gravity is hurting handling. In order to get some extra suspension travel and improve the handling you should not only consider the drop bracket lift but also the extended radius arms, these make a drop bracket lift kit into a performance suspension by changing the geometry of the front beams as the cycle, giving you more wheel travel and more usable travel. Otherwise a TTB drop bracket lift is only allowing you to clear larger tires, something a body lift and some fender flares can do easily as well without raising up the whole frame/engine/drivetrain.

Food for thought

Thanks for the info!! :)
I kinda chose the Explorer for the SAS options IF I want to go that route. TBH, I kinda like the weirdness of the TTB, but we'll see how that goes once I start dragging it through the woods, mud and rocks.
I only really plan of 33's

I've been all over the place with deciding what to do with this lift...from a cheepo 4" RC full kit to a much more expensive, and most likely better engineered lift.
It seems I'd be best investing in a James Duff Stage 3 kit which they said they'd sell me just the front part. it'll probably work out at double the cost, but I suspect it'll be worth it.
Or the SJ kit Free Shipping To Canada And Usa For Skyjacker 236r2k-a - Suspension Lift Kit (6") | Tdot Performance

(skyjacker for the win)

I am still rocking the TTB
Mine is custom, we built the beams years ago.
I love the fact that I have independent front suspension yet still get 12+" of wheel travel
For a 4wd this is not easy, the TTB was way ahead of its time.
I have james duff pivot drop brackets, Skyjacker extended radius arms, Skyjacker 6" coils, Superlift Superrunner steering and of course the custom beams to make it all work together. Almost all of my parts haev been custom modified in some way or another to make it work. My BII drives WAY better then any Bronco II ever did from the factory. I keep the TTB because I drive on some ROUGH roads..... like the one from my house to town 2 miles of off road mess!!
I have no sway bars, only 4" of lift, a body drop, soft springs and stiff shocks. My front suspension is 4" wider then stock and well it just plain works for what I do with it (daily driver for 20+ years now)

If you really want to stretch your mind out this AM on whats possible with a TTB check out Camburg long travel or AutoFAB's D44 ttb conversion........Giant motorsports, and several other SO cal / Desert speed type shops can all make custom TTB setups that have dominated the desert 4x4 classes for many many years. These TTB's can achieve 14-18" of CLEAN wheel travel EASILY with the right setup, even without the use of the weak tall "drop bracket" lifts
The biggest drawback with TTB is a funky steering angle that cause major camber changes as the beams cycle, plus the front diff hangs pretty low and the beams like to get stuck in the mud/ snow
Otherwise the TTB still kicks ass!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NICE!!
Presumably a 83-97 Ranger kit with radius arms with also fit at 1st gen Explorer ?

Back