Transmission Slipping - Updated 8/23/22 Back in the shop! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Slipping - Updated 8/23/22 Back in the shop!

Had to go to the dealer today to swap out courtesy cars. The SA showed me the parts list so far. $2,500 in parts (
@ dealer costs) which included many bearings, a cylinder, trans case, and lots of little parts. He told me that Ford had to order a differential for the transmission (That's what does the preloading) because there were none in stock in NA. The trans manufacturer is having to build one special since there are none in stock.

He again said that Ford would not allow them to swap out the transmission because the repair costs did not amount to the cost of a new transmission. I call BS on that because if you special order a part, add in retail costs plus dealer hourly rates, we're well over that by now.

Anyway, they said the part should ship on Monday "unless unforeseen circumstances..." I'm not joking, it says that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We got our car back this week. They had it over 8 weeks. The report is about 6 pages long worth of work. I'll summarize:
Replaced: Driven Plate - steel, cylinder, converter assembly, inner circlip, plate assembly - drive, case assembly - transmission, bearing assembly - ball, bearing assembly - differential, cup - bearing, A bearing, bearing assembly - ball, bearing assembly - differential, bearing, gear and shaft assembly, bearing, gear assembly - planet, shim - roller bearing, and a metric ton of small parts.

The write-up: 30145 road tested verified concern road tested pid monitoring, line pressure stall test failed ids test showed code p0731 pulled oasis by symptom found no tsb or ssm pertaining referred to work shop removed trans mounted to bench disassembled found forward piston seal cut over hauled trans cleaned & insp valve body & solenoid body over hauled valve & solenoid body replaced converter due to bushing ware found crack in case replaced rear case diff & transfer shaft reassembled trans flushed cooler reinstalled trans.

They also fixed completed:
Performed a Canadian recall and replaced both rear suspension toe links.

Driver seat heater not working: Left front back blower open circuit verified concern. no tsbs or ssms. code b14ba:13 completed pin point test. removed and replaced front seat back heater/blower assembly

Airbag light is on: code b141b verified concern Performed tsb 16-001 replaced wire assembly.

Wife says the vehicle has never driven better. Transmission is smooth as can be. No noticeable shift into any gear including the 'accepted' clunk into 3rd as discussed in other threads. So yea, I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

About this time last year I said the problems were solved. I'll say it again. But I'll also say "See you next year". ;)

We got our car back this week. They had it over 8 weeks. The report is about 6 pages long worth of work. I'll summarize:
Replaced: Driven Plate - steel, cylinder, converter assembly, inner circlip, plate assembly - drive, case assembly - transmission, bearing assembly - ball, bearing assembly - differential, cup - bearing, A bearing, bearing assembly - ball, bearing assembly - differential, bearing, gear and shaft assembly, bearing, gear assembly - planet, shim - roller bearing, and a metric ton of small parts.

The write-up: 30145 road tested verified concern road tested pid monitoring, line pressure stall test failed ids test showed code p0731 pulled oasis by symptom found no tsb or ssm pertaining referred to work shop removed trans mounted to bench disassembled found forward piston seal cut over hauled trans cleaned & insp valve body & solenoid body over hauled valve & solenoid body replaced converter due to bushing ware found crack in case replaced rear case diff & transfer shaft reassembled trans flushed cooler reinstalled trans.

They also fixed completed:
Performed a Canadian recall and replaced both rear suspension toe links.

Driver seat heater not working: Left front back blower open circuit verified concern. no tsbs or ssms. code b14ba:13 completed pin point test. removed and replaced front seat back heater/blower assembly

Airbag light is on: code b141b verified concern Performed tsb 16-001 replaced wire assembly.

Wife says the vehicle has never driven better. Transmission is smooth as can be. No noticeable shift into any gear including the 'accepted' clunk into 3rd as discussed in other threads. So yea, I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

About this time last year I said the problems were solved. I'll say it again. But I'll also say "See you next year". ;)

All that labor + parts, is cheaper than replacing the entire tranny?
I don't understand how Ford allows some dealership to replace (which was my case and several others on this thread) and then you a complete overhaul!

.....................They also fixed completed: Performed a Canadian recall and replaced both rear suspension toe links.
Not sure why they would have done the toe links if it didn't apply. The strange thing is that I scheduled an appointment to have the oil changed and the Winter wheels replace with the OEM ones. I received a phone call about 10 minutes later about having outstanding work to be done. That being the Carbon Monoxide one and also one about the toe links. The only one that shows up on my Ford account is the carbon monoxide issue. I wasn't planning on having the carbon monoxide issue addressed but since it is a lease perhaps I don't have a choice. I'll discuss it with them next week.

Peter

Not sure why they would have done the toe links if it didn't apply. The strange thing is that I scheduled an appointment to have the oil changed and the Winter wheels replace with the OEM ones. I received a phone call about 10 minutes later about having outstanding work to be done. That being the Carbon Monoxide one and also one about the toe links. The only one that shows up on my Ford account is the carbon monoxide issue. I wasn't planning on having the carbon monoxide issue addressed but since it is a lease perhaps I don't have a choice. I'll discuss it with them next week.

Peter
I assume it's showing up with they pull the VIN and the dealership is simply addressing it, as those paper pusher working at Ford isn't paying attention that it's regional specific and approving the work.

Peter
I have a Canadian vehicle.

They were supposed to do Carbon Monoxide reprogramming but I don't see it. They have my copy of my notification from Ford. I'll need to go get that back.

OK. So we had a vehicle back for less than a week and it started leaking oil. Took us a week or so to get it into the shop. They had the car a day and found:

"Verified customer concern. Found fluid leaking to be transmission fluid. transmission fluid leaking from between PTU and transmission and from the intermediate shaft seal. Removed PTU and replaced intermediate shaft seal and compression seal. topped off transmission fluid."

We also noticed a "rattling upon acceleration" they found:

"Verified customer concern. found belt tensioner movement erratic while running. removed accessory drive belt and noise went away. installed new belt tensioner.

They also completed the exhaust smell TSB:

"Performed recall 17n03. installed patches and plugs, reprogrammed hvac module to latest calibration.

All warrantied.

So can someone explain to me how they did all that transmission work and we still had shaft & compression seal failures. Never mind, that's rhetorical.

ETA: We got an expedition as a courtesy vehicle. Holy crap what a nice ride! I mean, I'd buy that all day long over an explorer. Wow.

="SouthernExploder, post: 3765835, member: 330395"
ETA: We got an expedition as a courtesy vehicle. Holy crap what a nice ride! I mean, I'd buy that all day long over an explorer. Wow.

I hope your 'Exploder' stays in one piece for a while so you can enjoy the positive aspects of these cars.
I drove a fully optioned 2000 EB Expedition 4x4 for 9 years (and 157k miles), a great vehicle (more like a truck with real four wheel drive), it towed all my stuff (up to 7500 lbs), handled off-road and snow conditions well and was a good road trip car. Now we have this Explorer and when it runs it's a nice car (hardly a truck), but during one of the many, many warranty repairs we got a 2017 Expedition loaner and my wife suggested we trade the Explorer in and get one, a very nice ride, quiet and powerful. It's too big for our uses today though.

I just hope the 2020 Explorer is more reliable than these 5th Gen's.

OK. So we had a vehicle back for less than a week and it started leaking oil. Took us a week or so to get it into the shop. They had the car a day and found:

"Verified customer concern. Found fluid leaking to be transmission fluid. transmission fluid leaking from between PTU and transmission and from the intermediate shaft seal. Removed PTU and replaced intermediate shaft seal and compression seal. topped off transmission fluid."

We also noticed a "rattling upon acceleration" they found:

"Verified customer concern. found belt tensioner movement erratic while running. removed accessory drive belt and noise went away. installed new belt tensioner.

They also completed the exhaust smell TSB:

"Performed recall 17n03. installed patches and plugs, reprogrammed hvac module to latest calibration.

All warrantied.

So can someone explain to me how they did all that transmission work and we still had shaft & compression seal failures. Never mind, that's rhetorical.

Was the rattling on acceleration through the throttle pedal? And which warranty was that under? B2B?

Not through the pedal, heard it with the window open. I don't think the tensioner is part of the powertrain but it doesn't say which warranty covered it.

I have my '15 that I've really enjoyed, but man when I get in my wife's '17 Expedition I get super jealous. I usually only drive it on the weekends when she's off work so I try to get as much time in as possible.

Guess whose Exploder is back in the shop for a bad transmission!!! They confirmed it's bad but won't be able to open it up for 3 weeks. Ugh. Thank God for the extended warranty. But in the current market, I'm selling this pig after it's fixed.

It's back to "banging/Clanking" when we put it into reverse.

Hey! Guess who has two thumbs and their Exploder back in the shop for a faulty transmission?! This guy!

Seriously! Last rebuilt in Sept of '22 for the second time. But this time my warranty is up. We've been looking to sell but with the car market the way it's been (lack of options) we've been sitting on this car. And it's cost us. $3k for the waterpump going bad and changing out the timing belt etc.. "since we're there".

Now the transmission has started up again. This time it wont shift at high RPMs and then the gas pedal becomes unresponsive and we glide to a stop. Sometimes there's a clunk in the transmission other times not.

I talked to the dealer rep that has rebuilt it the last 2 times and asked them to cover the costs since it's been less than 2 years and 20k miles on the 2nd rebuild. They're going to take a look at it and let me know.

If the dealer made you an offer you couldn't refuse, is there anything on the lot that catches your eye?

If the dealer made you an offer you couldn't refuse, is there anything on the lot that catches your eye?
Honestly, I don't know. Part of me is done with Ford, part would like a Bronco - But Bronco is having their own issues. It'd really have to be an offer we couldn't refuse.

A Raptor Ranger would be cool but this is my wife's daily driver so "no" to a pick-up.

Back