Explorer Cranks But Wont Start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Cranks But Wont Start

How did the test get performed? What you're describing isn't a common Explorer issue...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been having a similar issue in my '13 Police Utility (3.7L) - will have periods where it cranks for a long time before starting, sometimes won't start, but most of the time runs fine. Problem doesn't happen consistent enough so when bringing it to a mechanic they cant figure it out. Changing the Fuel Pump drive Module (relay looking component on the C-pillar) seemed to help, but the problem does still come back once in a while. Battery also tested so replaced that and didn't have an effect. Currently, I am waiting on a new relay for the Fuel Pump to try that. I am also very interested in ideas or a solution.

My 2018 Explorer with 8k miles on it, will crank and not start, this has happened a couple times. It was towed to dealership and after sitting a couple days it started for them. They checked for codes and it didn't show any. It is still at the dealership and they are waiting to hear from Ford. There is clearly a problem, but dealership can't find it. Any helpful info??

was it bumped by chance? There is a fuel cut off/reset process with Ford vehicles .. I'd like to think the dealer has looked into this but ya never know.

was it bumped by chance? There is a fuel cut off/reset process with Ford vehicles .. I'd like to think the dealer has looked into this but ya never know.
It has never been bumped that I know of. But I will ask if they have checked fuel cutoff.

It has never been bumped that I know of. But I will ask if they have checked fuel cutoff.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If it is intermittent then it shouldn't be the fuel cutoff.

Peter

It has a full tank of gas!
Have you had a good look at the + battery connection? This has caused many issues. Even though the battery is still quite new, there have been some that were replaced within a month. Are you able to use a battery charger or get a 'jump start' the next time it happens to see if it will start then?

Peter

The tow truck driver tried to jump start before he loaded it on the roll back. Same thing it cranked but wouldn’t start!

My 2016 Explorer Base (3.5l) has will not start issue.... Today is the second time its been towed back to Ford (just out of warranty now by the way). It will go thru the start cycle and never hit. When this happened two months ago by the time it got to the dealership they could not find a problem and no trouble codes. This morning after no less than 20 attempts to start when the tow truck arrived it started fine. We run E-85 in it most of the time. Anyone experienced a similar issue?

Another member had a somewhat similar issue and traced it to a loose ignition switch. Have you checked the battery connections, especially the positive one? It is known to corrode.

Peter

Another member had a somewhat similar issue and traced it to a loose ignition switch. Have you checked the battery connections, especially the positive one? It is known to corrode.

Peter
Ford replaced my battery about 4 months ago... everything was tight and clean. I’ll see what they say this time and have them check the ignition. To me it sounds like it’s not getting fuel.

Fuel pump module I bet

I swear I read on here about someone else having issues with e85 and when they switched back to regular, it went away. I cant seem to find it because e85 is too short to search.

I’d try connecting a fuel pressure tester, might Not be keeping pressure up to the fuel rail. I wish I could help further, but I do not have a service manual as some do in this forum.

Hello all, thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide as I am at my wits end with this vehicle. My current issue is exactly what I stated in the topic. It cranks but wont start. All of the lights act normal in that the check engine light does not stay on while trying to crank. I smell fuel so I think the fuel pump is working but not sure if that is a good way to tell. I have swapped all of the pertinent fuses and relays with no success. It cranked and ran fine until a few days ago and hasnt started since. Battery tests just fine. Hoping if this is something simple, I can fix it without the expense of having it towed somewhere.

Some recent history. The AC stopped working and the mechanic identified a fuse blown. Traced it back and found that a leaking water pump was leaking water on an AC component and causing the fuse to blow repeatedly. Had the water pump, timing chain, and spark plugs replaced. With that problem solved, the AC kept blowing the fuse so eventually that led to the AC condenser or something being replaced. That solved that problem and everything was running great albeit I was over $3,000 poorer. Now a few weeks later, I am having this issue. Just hoping its a small thing but wondering what to do next. Any help appreciated.

PS The vehicle has 165,000 miles and is the 2016 Base model Explorer.

I'm not sure if you hit the nail on the head with this one but have found a big issue. Once I replaced the battery connector and saw the deformed battery case under the + pole, I brought it to NTB who installed the battery in 2017.

They replaced the battery for free, however, stated they had seen this issue when the voltage was fluctuating. They ran a voltage test and found that is was up and down. They are recommending a new starter. I would have thought alternator... I told them I wanted to hold off because I'm going back to the dealership to find out why after all these breakdowns, 2 batteries, new connector, they never found this issue with the voltage.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the fluctuating voltage on their Explorer? I'm really hoping this is the problem with it not starting.

Thanks!
Any update? All good now?

Peter

The tow truck driver tried to jump start before he loaded it on the roll back. Same thing it cranked but wouldn’t start!
Any update?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford replaced my battery about 4 months ago... everything was tight and clean. I’ll see what they say this time and have them check the ignition. To me it sounds like it’s not getting fuel.
Update?

Back