driver's seat question, and spark plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

driver's seat question, and spark plugs

ThunderbirdSport

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8
Two part question here LOL

One, does the driver's seat move automatically when the key is turned off and on? This is kind of annoying to me and if possible, I'd like to keep it from happening, without losing the power seat and memory functions. Wife drives it too, and has shorter legs than me LOL.

Two, the spark plugs. (V8 version). What's the best way to replace 'em? I've read several people's posts both here and other sites to use something like PB Blaster, let it sit awhile, warm the engine up, and use an impact wrench to take them out. Mine's an '06 EB with of course the previously mentioned 3v 4.6

I love this rig, and to anyone considering getting one, go with the V8. I held out, looked through literally 200-some ads, found about 5 with the 4.6, and the wait was worth it.

Thanks in advance! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want to disable the "easy entry" feature on the speedometer screen, You will still have the memory functions.
I have not tried the spark plugs yet.

Nice! Will that also disable the keyless entry? (not that I have the code for it..yet..) :D

Dont know I dont have my code either.
I did find that the truck wont lock if you leave the key in the ignition.

No it wont affect your code, and you can get it with forscan software very easy, enjoy your Explorer.

One, does the driver's seat move automatically when the key is turned off and on? This is kind of annoying to me and if possible, I'd like to keep it from happening, without losing the power seat and memory functions. Wife drives it too, and has shorter legs than me LOL.

Two, the spark plugs. (V8 version). What's the best way to replace 'em? I've read several people's posts both here and other sites to use something like PB Blaster, let it sit awhile, warm the engine up, and use an impact wrench to take them out. Mine's an '06 EB with of course the previously mentioned 3v 4.6

I love this rig, and to anyone considering getting one, go with the V8. I held out, looked through literally 200-some ads, found about 5 with the 4.6, and the wait was worth it.

Yes the drivers seat moves when the ignition is engaged.

If you change your plugs soak them a couple hours with PB Blaster then with ease slowing try backing them out. You might have to add a little more spray if they start to turn but it’s still very resistant. Just go really easy and keep steady pressure no quick jerks or they might snap. If still no lu h then after soaking warm up the engine to help expend the engine block. Mine come out with ease at 130k with just soaking. Garage wanted something like $400, no way.

So this afternoon and evening I changed the plugs and coils. The passenger side 4 were barely more than finger tight, the driver's side were snug but not scarily so. The guy I bought it from said that he'd changed the plugs awhile back, and they looked fairly newish.

Anyway, after I got 'er all buttoned back up, I took it out for a test drive.

Holy ****, I didn't realize the 3v felt that powerful..
Keep in mind I've got a 5.0 Explorer, and drove a Mountaineer before that, so a little "git up n go" isn't unfamiliar.

This mod motor though..takes the kick in the ass feeling to a whole new level.

And, as everyone says....the transmission shifts fine now....it's all in the coils!

I'm just surprised at how fast this thing can move compared to before.

One more question....does the shifter have some sort of backlighting? I couldn't find much info about it that pertained to the '06-10 rigs, so I figured I'd ask here.

You guys are great. Thanks for the info and tips!

The easy entry feature irritated me too. I couldn't figure out how to disable it at first and I thought I was doomed to listening the worn out seat motor laboriously move back or forth every time I got in or out. Not big on that type of stuff.
I just bought my Mountaineer a week ago. The v8 was a must-have in my search as well. Worth it. Had new plugs and coils shortly before I bought it. Really dig the way this thing moves.
I'm also pretty fascinated by the adaptive learning of the trans. It definitely has its quirks but its a pretty neat feature when its working right. I was putting it through its paces when I test drove it and it was real slow to downshift and such. It was owned by an older guy who must not have ever gone WOT. When I was driving it home I griped how mushy the throttle response and trans programing were. Not anymore. Downshifts are very quick and crisp, as is throttle response.

Yes there is a light in the shifter. Its very common to burn out. I can't remember but I think its a #74 bulb you need to remove the chrome bezel and the center plastic its really easy to remove the bulb is kinda hard to get out though.

Edit
Here is a link for the gear shift indicator with a link to pictures to get to the bulb.
2006 is there a bulb for gearshift indicator?

I'm an ass for saying there was no light then. It looked to me as though it didn't have the capacity to light up.
I rescind my statement.

I'm an ass for saying there was no light then. It looked to me as though it didn't have the capacity to light up.
I rescind my statement.
Yeah if you have never had a working light it can happen and now you know it can be replaced. The one that made me do double take is the one in headlight switch. Now every time it goes out it now it bugs me and they dont last long for me. I think I have replaced the headlight one 6 or so times and the shifter 2 or 3 time now.

Earlier I got around to changing out the bulb in the shifter. I put a new bulb in, turned the headlights on...and...nothin'. D'oh.

Tried the other new bulb. No difference. Tried squeezing the bulb socket base thingy with a pair of pliers. Nope....nary a damned thing.

Said a few cuss words, plus one I invented right on the motherstuffin' spot, then had an idear. I took the little wires on the bulb, pulled em out at an angle, stuck the sombeach in, turned the lights on, and damned right, I can see clearly now....what gearly I'm in now....

I also changed the oil in it, reset the thingamajig on the dash.

So, to date, for repair/maintenance, it's been :new coils and plugs (helped with the "bad" transmission issue), oil and filter plus 6 quarts of Syn Blend Motorcraft engine juice, and the shifter bulb. Also, did some headlight aiming the other night...not sure if the previous owner(s) had a bunch of subs and **** in the back, but on high beam, I could see about as well as Ray Charles in the dark.
Also had to replace the driver side marker light...the one that has the amber filter at the far back side of the headlight assembly. Was burnt out.

This thing is hell of a vehicle. Just need to convert the third row to manual, and by fall put some rubber better suited to slick **** on.....

I read a couple of threads about some folks who debadged and dechromed....I've been thinking about painting the grill and front chrome bits white to match the body. I like the contrasting trim, running boards, just hate the gold. Makes the damned thing look like a white chocolate reese's peanut butter cup package LOL.

Kinda want to throw my "CB" in (Ranger 10 meter convert), but there's not much place to mount it. I'd throw it overhead but I have a moonroof...

I need a driver side foglight...apparently when I I was driving it home the day I bought it, the lens fell off. I am sure it was on when I first checked it out...I turned on all the lights and inspected them all...it was there then. Finished the night off with some new floormats....from Wally world, the trim to fit one. They're pretty decent. Ought to keep mud off the carpet, unlike the non existent ones...why'n hell do people get rid of their mats? Ughh.

CF0rW2g.jpg

94Hmdsz.jpg

This was minutes after I'd got home with it.
2YdfaZ5.jpg

Mine is the same color scheme. I like it - it says I'm a real SUV but I do have a bit of class. And white is soooo easy to keep up compared to darker colors. Look for some cross bars for that roof rack - you may never use them but it gives it that extra 'I'm serious and I can work' look. I can't believe they ever let one leave the factory with rails and no cross bars.

YEAH! I been actually thinking about adding more cross bars to really up my "roof" game

Back