Oil leak leads to blown motor without warning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak leads to blown motor without warning

Should Ford cover this under warranty?

• Total voters

ChadR_07

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer - Base
I have a 2015 Explorer with about 42k miles, so still within the powertrain warranty period. I had a leak that was from a damaged oil filter that I believe I may have inadvertently did during a routine oil change. Because it was in this location, and the crack in the filter was small, it didn't leak when parked, only when under pressure when the engine was running.

I was on a long spring break road trip when the engine suddenly went into limp mode, started the death knock, and then displayed the oil light warning indicator. I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. The OBD record should confirm the miles driven since the error code was thrown, which should be less than a 1/4 mile, if that.

I haven't spoken to Ford yet on this, waiting on a call back from the local dealer, but I'm interested in some thoughts from you all. I'll post updates after speaking to Ford, so stay tuned if you're interested.

These cars have a ton of sensors these days. They've had oil gauges for decades. The computers log so much information. They can tell you when something as benign as wiper fluid is low. So shouldn't it warn you when something that will cause catastrophic damage is low? There is an oil warning light after all, so it seems as though they are designed to do this, right?

Ford's own manual claims that is the very purpose of these warning lamps.

2015 Ford Explorer Manual

Page 117:
"WARNING LAMPS AND INDICATORS
There are indicators that can alert you to a vehicle condition that may become serious enough to cause expensive repairs."

Page 118: "Engine oil pressure (RTT): Illuminates when the oil pressure falls below the normal range"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were Ford, I wouldn't cover anything if the cause was an oil filter that was installed by you (and admittedly damaged by you). Hopefully it's not an expensive lesson for you...

If I were you, I would consult with an attorney that is probably going to advise against posting anything like this online.

the-first-rule-of-fight-club-is-bll-250x140.jpg

I have a 2015 Explorer with about 42k miles, so still within the powertrain warranty period. I had a leak that was from a damaged oil filter that I believe I may have inadvertently did during a routine oil change. Because it was in this location, and the crack in the filter was small, it didn't leak when parked, only when under pressure when the engine was running.

I was on a long spring break road trip when the engine suddenly went into limp mode, started the death knock, and then displayed the oil light warning indicator. I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. The OBD record should confirm the miles driven since the error code was thrown, which should be less than a 1/4 mile, if that.

I haven't spoken to Ford yet on this, waiting on a call back from the local dealer, but I'm interested in some thoughts from you all. I'll post updates after speaking to Ford, so stay tuned if you're interested.

These cars have a ton of sensors these days. They've had oil gauges for decades. The computers log so much information. They can tell you when something as benign as wiper fluid is low. So shouldn't it warn you when something that will cause catastrophic damage is low? There is an oil warning light after all, so it seems as though they are designed to do this, right?

First, don't tell them you may have damaged the filter.

I would expect you to have low oil level or low oil pressure warnings well before engine knock starts.

Interesting?
You either tell the truth or you cover up your mistake...

Welcome to the Forum Chad.:wave:
There is a chance that this will not be covered under Warranty. Did you at least use an OEM filter?

Peter

Even my 2000 GTP has a "low oil" warning light. Just how low the oil can get before the warning comes on, is something I plan never to find out.

That’s a tough one alright. As you were doing your own oil changes you’d have to produce a receipt for the oil and filter. They’ll find the crack in the oil filter and most likely deny warranty because it was not a fault from their negligence. Out of curiosity, was the filter a motocraft filter?

They won’t cover this as it’s entirely user error, as they shouldn’t. Not sure how you really crack an oil filter, they should only be spun on by hand.

If I were you, I’d delete this, install a Motorcraft filter on the truck and play entirely stupid.

You don't need to use a Motorcraft filter, any filter that meets OEM specs will work.

But I agree with all the others, it looks like it is going to be on your dime unless you can prove or they find that the low oil warning sensor is defective.

I'm not going to lie about it and have always taken responsibility for my actions.

What caused the engine failure? Running the engine with low oil. If the warning lamp did what it was supposed to, and what they claim it should do, it should've alerted me to the condition so I could've prevented it. And I do believe that the OBD log will show that it did not do as such as the engine oil pressure light did not come on until it was too late (I have an ODB tool and IIRC it does show the miles driven with the lamp on, which should be less than 1/4 mile).

Ford's own manual claims that is the very purpose of these warning lamps.

2015 Ford Explorer Manual

Page 117:
"WARNING LAMPS AND INDICATORS
There are indicators that can alert you to a vehicle condition that may become serious enough to cause expensive repairs."

Page 118: "Engine oil pressure (RTT): Illuminates when the oil pressure falls below the normal range"

You don't need to use a Motorcraft filter, any filter that meets OEM specs will work.

But I agree with all the others, it looks like it is going to be on your dime unless you can prove or they find that the low oil warning sensor is defective.
Was wondering if it was a motocraft oil filter or aftermarket, not making accusations.

The wording is “can” and not “will”. Miles driven with the light is sort of irrelevant. If it showed time, that might be valuable, but without oil pressure serious engine damage happens very fast.

What kind of filter was it, and how did you split it?

I'm not going to lie about it and have always taken responsibility for my actions.

Good for you, but you may find that your adversaries (OE and dealers in this case) don't play by the same rules. If that is really your stance, why would you put a poll up asking if Ford should cover this under warranty when you admitted to it being your fault?

It only takes a split second to a few seconds to spin a bearing or cause major damage if oil pressure is low. There's no way to confirm if the light displayed or not, so it would be your word against Ford/dealer (i.e. an expert witness), unless you had a camera trained on the dash and recording during the incident. Further, I don't believe the oil warning light data is tracked and I think you may be confusing that with the miles driven since last DTC/MIL indicator that is tracked.

There are some costs that folks have been paying for motors in the water pump failure thread and IIRC is upwards of $5-7K+ for a replacement short/long block plus labor. That issue doesn't exactly have an indicator to warn when it becomes serious enough to cause expensive repairs.

If you get any assistance from Ford or the dealer, make sure you post up about it here. I'm sure it will rankle a few feathers from people that had legit problems they had nothing to do with, but got nothing from Ford or their dealer....

I saw that other thread on the water pump...I believe his root concern was the same thing, lack of a warning. The main fact going against him, was the fact that he was out of warranty.

I didn't admit that the engine failure was my fault. I haven't had a chance to look at it extensively (the car is 700 miles from me at the moment), but even if I were to assume the leak was my fault (worst case scenario and is the reason I posted it this way...to get opinions on the worst case scenario, because if otherwise, there's no question it should be covered), does that also mean there wasn't an issue on the lack of a warning from the vehicle. To me, this is an interesting question with merit. Lack of oil alone didn't cause the failure, it's when you drive it with low oil pressure that causes the failure. And if warning lamps are meant to warn you in advance for the very purpose of avoiding these types of things, then they should do so. As such, the purpose of the poll was to get some objective opinions, outside my own, as it was a grey area from my perspective. I understand from your perspective its not. Thanks for opinion, that was the point of the poll, to get the opinions of others.

Yes, I may be confusing the miles driven since last DTC/MIL tracking...I was thinking that a low oil pressure indicator would trigger the same log as it has dire implications, but maybe not. I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

I saw that other thread on the water pump...I believe his root concern was the same thing, lack of a warning. The main fact going against him, was the fact that he was out of warranty.

I didn't admit that the engine failure was my fault. I haven't had a chance to look at it extensively (the car is 700 miles from me at the moment), but even if I were to assume the leak was my fault (worst case scenario and is the reason I posted it this way...to get opinions on the worst case scenario, because if otherwise, there's no question it should be covered), does that also mean there wasn't an issue on the lack of a warning from the vehicle. To me, this is an interesting question with merit. Lack of oil alone didn't cause the failure, it's when you drive it with low oil pressure that causes the failure. And if warning lamps are meant to warn you in advance for the very purpose of avoiding these types of things, then they should do so. As such, the purpose of the poll was to get some objective opinions, outside my own, as it was a grey area from my perspective. I understand from your perspective its not. Thanks for opinion, that was the point of the poll, to get the opinions of others.

Yes, I may be confusing the miles driven since last DTC/MIL tracking...I was thinking that a low oil pressure indicator would trigger the same log as it has dire implications, but maybe not. I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

Your best bet is to speak to the service manager and hope he is technical enough to understand the details you are describing and go to bat for you.
I'm sure you read about the difficulties other members have experienced, for well known issues such as the corroded hood, as an example, in which owners have been denied replacements.

They won’t cover this as it’s entirely user error, as they shouldn’t. Not sure how you really crack an oil filter, they should only be spun on by hand.

If I were you, I’d delete this, install a Motorcraft filter on the truck and play entirely stupid.

Wait, so first you say that it is user error and Ford shouldn't cover it but then tell him to put a new filter on and shut his mouth?? So essentially lie to Ford to get them to cover something that you just said they shouldn't?? Got it.

I'm wondering since the filter was cracked, you were probably driving it low on oil for a bit but not enough to give a warning light. Then maybe the crack, due to pressure, suddenly blew open bigger and it crapped out the rest of the oil. Were you going at a fast speed/high rpms? It may have had too many rpms when it blew even though you quickly pulled over.

Wait, so first you say that it is user error and Ford shouldn't cover it but then tell him to put a new filter on and shut his mouth?? So essentially lie to Ford to get them to cover something that you just said they shouldn't?? Got it.
Yes, you got it. Ford wouldn’t think twice about screwing you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wondering since the filter was cracked, you were probably driving it low on oil for a bit but not enough to give a warning light. Then maybe the crack, due to pressure, suddenly blew open bigger and it crapped out the rest of the oil. Were you going at a fast speed/high rpms? It may have had too many rpms when it blew even though you quickly pulled over.

Could be. I was at highway speeds and had to pass some folks at higher RPMs. Can't remember if that occurred right before failure or not though.

Back