• Register Today It's free!

2016+ PIU fuel tank question

Ntrain

Reaction score
City, State
East, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Does the 2016 PIU come with a larger fuel tank than the regular Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang. Would really like to find a larger tank. Hard to believe my Edge had a bigger one.

Dang. Would really like to find a larger tank. Hard to believe my Edge had a bigger one.
You might find a bigger tank from another vehicle but I doubt it would fit. I believe the size of a fuel tank is primarily determined by the amount of space there is to mount it.

Peter

I thought the edge had an ~18.5-19 gallon tank (think I have seen some claims of 20 at most). What year was your edge and what size tank did it have or do you think it had?

I thought the edge had an ~18.5-19 gallon tank (think I have seen some claims of 20 at most). What year was your edge and what size tank did it have or do you think it had?

Mine had a 20.8 gallon tank. Capacity confirmed through the many fill ups I did over the 3 years I owned it.

Mine had a 20.8 gallon tank. Capacity confirmed through the many fill ups I did over the 3 years I owned it.
From what I've been able to find in the following link is that from 2014 to 2018 the PIU standard fuel tank is 18.6 gallons. The sedan is 19 gallons. https://fordbbas.com/publications I haven't check to see if a larger tank was available in the up-fitters guide.

Peter

You kind of made it seem like you had a huge difference in tank size. 2 gallons is not a big deal on vehicles that average 20mpg.

You kind of made it seem like you had a huge difference in tank size. 2 gallons is not a big deal on vehicles that average 20mpg.

I don't see how that means I way saying there is a huge difference in tank size.

Regardless, it is the difference in me having to fill up every 6 days or every 7 days on my commute.

I said that your comments made it seem like there would be a bigger difference than just 2 gallons. I don't think the average person is all that concerned if they are able to go 6 vs 7 days between fillups. Most people just get fuel as necessry.

A quick Google search didn't seem to confirm the 20.8 gallon tank capacity either. Not sure what to make of that. Biggest capacity I saw was est. 20 gallons on 2008. Correction: it seems some early brochures and manuals may have said 20.8, but they were changed to ~18.5 fwd and ~19.5 awd in subsequent printings. I guess to many people clicking away at the pump and overfilling their tanks.

You and me both. If I have a frustration about my PIU, it's that it doesn't carry enough go-juice.

You and me both. If I have a frustration about my PIU, it's that it doesn't carry enough go-juice.

Apparently it's not a big deal according to other members......

A quick Google search didn't seem to confirm the 20.8 gallon tank capacity either. Not sure what to make of that. Biggest capacity I saw was est. 20 gallons on 2008. Correction: it seems some early brochures and manuals may have said 20.8, but they were changed to ~18.5 fwd and ~19.5 awd in subsequent printings. I guess to many people clicking away at the pump and overfilling their tanks.

BTW, the build paperwork on my edge said it was a 20.8. I didn't click away to "overfill" my tank.

No one forces anyone to buy any vehicle they have an issue with. Everyone has their own "issues" that they like to complain about. Some people have no issue wearing dirty underwear for several days in a row whereas others like to change theirs daily. In general, most people don't shop for vehicles based on how often they have to fill their fuel tank and whether it is every 5 vs 6 days or 7 vs 8 days or whatever. Most people fill up their vehicles when convenient for them or as needed because everyone drives different amounts of miles daily/weekly/monthly/etc... Sorry you bought a vehicle for your commute that isn't quite cutting for you. Maybe keep a 2 gallon fuel jug at home and add it to your tank every Thursday so you can make it through the week and still be able to fill up your tank (and the fuel jug) on the same day every week...

BTW, the build paperwork on my edge said it was a 20.8. I didn't click away to "overfill" my tank.
I never said YOU did that. I don't know why ford listed the early edge with a 20+ gal tank and then changed it to 18.5/19.5 shortly after. Maybe ask them why they did that and explain that it really bothers you...

Well, compared to, say, coffee disappearing off the face of the Earth one day, it's really not all that critical, but an inconvenience nonetheless...

So was anyone able to find a way to get a bigger fuel tank in the Gen 5?
I have a 2017 Platinum that I’m towing a travel trailer with now and that equates to under 200 miles per tank... it’s difficult on some road trips finding a gas station. I definitely miss the 36 gallon tank on my F150

I'm not aware of anyone adding a larger capacity fuel tank to either the PIU or retail Explorer. I think that the size is restricted due to body structure and other components. You may just have to carry a couple gas containers.

Peter

Thank you for the quick feedback Peter! I’m getting roughly 11-12MPG with a 3300lb trailer. I know a lot of factors can go into the mpg and trailer, but does that sound within the right ballpark?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldn't surprise me that is what you are getting. I don't tow so I have no real-world experience but I believe others have posted figures like that.
Is that running premium gasoline?

Peter

Back