A4LD shenanigans

Mtn_Man

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited 4WD
1994 Limited 4x4
So I noticed the revs were up on the way home yesterday. Sure enough, no OD. And for the past few weeks I have occasionally had a very lazy 1/2 shift on first take off on my street. Immediately clears when pulling out of the neighborhood. Have done nothing at this point, not even check the fluid level or quality. It was rebuilt at ~150k. Now has 233k on it. I know the 3/4 is electric. It's the lazy 1/2 that has me thinking I'm on the glide slope to failure. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check & change the fluid is what I would do 1st, but I'm no expert.

The governor could be sticking. Does it stick only when it's cold then shift better after it warms up? Did you adjust the bands, and the kickdown cable? Is your modulator adjustable?

The lazy 1/2 was when cold. Yesterday though, I drove it 30+miles so it is probably not a temp problem with the OD. Going to check out RockAuto for what's available for the tranny.

Have done nothing at this point, not even check the fluid level or quality.
As ovrlndr said, check the fluid first. Not sure why you would check on parts availability or literally anything else before checking fluid. It’s easy, it’s free. You might just be low.
Granted it’s a high mileage a4ld, and they all die eventually, but start at the beginning

Just polling the collective wisdom. 80k on rebuild. And I can't check the fluid if I'm not at the truck. <conjures picture of Carnac the Magnificent>
I did check the fluid last night just to see if it was burnt. It is not. It is also did not appear to be low, but I did not have time to get it up to temp and check while running. The lottd is always way more than can be done in a day. Not really going to be able to put some quality time on it until the weekend.
I jinxed myself last weekend when I said to the wife "The truck is actually running really good right now." Fortunately, it's not the only pony in the stable. Hopefully it is something simple. If not, I can throw a kit in it. Not rocket science. I mean, the A4LD is the crap C3 with OD. Still has plenty of old school going on there. Rebuilding an automatic is mostly just doing the dishes, and this one just started misbehaving so I would not expect a show stopper fault.

I’ve jinxed myself like that a time or two!
Props to you for having no fear of rebuilding. Auto trannys are like magic and witchcraft to me, too scary.

Auto trannys are like magic and witchcraft to me, too scary.
Automatics are just another mechanical component of our vehicle. Not unlike working on an engine. Seems mystical, yes, but in reality, it's not!
Two things are necessary when rebuilding an auto (in my book):
1 - have a good manual on the trans you're working on. This should show clutch pack layouts, bearing face direction layout, valve body breakdown, etc.
2 - be meticulous in taking it apart, and then very meticulous in putting it back together. You do not want to be sloppy or rushed on this part.

These things are important to have when you rebuild an A4LD:

1. Torque wrench.

2. Clutch pack spring compressor. You could use a threaded rod, nuts, washers or drill a hole in a blank metal electrical box plate.

3. Snap ring plier for the rear snap ring.

4. Seal drivers & protectors.

5. Front pump alignment tool if you plan on opening the front pump.

6. Valve body parts tray for small internal valve body springs & pistons.

7. O ring pick tools.

8. Ratchet & sockets.

9. Engine stand & transmission jack.

10. Rebuilding manual or software.

Back