Melting negative battery terminals? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Melting negative battery terminals?

BruceExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
What would cause my negative battery terminal to melt? Starter went out seemingly right before. I went to change battery after trying to start a few times and it immediately sparked and started to melt.

I'm scared I'm going to blow something up or at very least ruin a good battery....Sparks and starts melting immediately to the touch when both sides are energized

IMG_20190331_192144.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely you've got a dead short. Since your starter died, I'd start by inspecting pos. cable connection there.

i would say the solenoid is stuck sending power through to a starter that is a dead short now,, , follow the red wire to the solenoid , than the starter, disconnect the starter first, try it again,
if the spark goes away, bingo, , if it doesn't than it's the solenoid,,
You said the starter went out,, it might be caught in the flywheel; and cannot turn causing the short,,,

I'm not familiar with a dead short. Is this within the starter itself or the red cable that leads to it?

The starter maybe stuck I heard a weird noise a few starts before it went out. I guess I will pull everything tomorrow weather permitting

Odd question but where does one get those terminals you have on your cable? I've been wondering that since I've got to replace mine soon and I'd like to go that route since I have a sub in the back of my 2000.

Odd question but where does one get those terminals you have on your cable? I've been wondering that since I've got to replace mine soon and I'd like to go that route since I have a sub in the back of my 2000.

most car stereo shops have them battery terminals or some box store electronics places, like best buy,,

Back