Looking to buy a Gen4 Explorer - transmission issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a Gen4 Explorer - transmission issues?

Spades

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac \/8
I was originally looking at Gen3 Explorers, but after reading so many transmission issues ive decided to move on and continue my search with Gen4s. Are they plagued with transmission problems as with the Gen3s? I was mainly focused on the V8s, but they seem to be much fewer so now im considering the V6 if the transmissions arent as problematic as the Gen3 V6... So basically, im wondering if the transmission issues have been solved with the Gen4? This will mainly be used for family outings, weekend getaways, and towing an 18' 2400 pound boat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i hate to say it but the v6 5r55s still has issues in the 4th gen explorers. Along with the v6 engine having the timing chain problems you really want the v8 explorer.

06 Explorer EB 4.0l here, 173,000. on it now. Original engine and Transmission 5R55S, engine
quiet as a mouse.This Explorer and my 03 Excursion limited 7.3 diesel with 273,000. have been
the most dependable trucks that I have ever owned. Regular maintenance is the key.

06 Explorer EB 4.0l here, 173,000. on it now. Original engine and Transmission 5R55S, engine
quiet as a mouse.This Explorer and my 03 Excursion limited 7.3 diesel with 273,000. have been
the most dependable trucks that I have ever owned. Regular maintenance is the key.

Yes regular maintaince is the key thing. I have a 2010 v6 144k on original engine and transmission. It runs great in the warmer weather in winter i do get some ticking from the timing chains but it goes away after a minute or two. The transmission goes through the gears fine but is starting to make some odd noises in gear i need to get that checked out. I don't tow anything real heavy with it max maybe 1500lbs thats once maybe twice a year 30 mile round trip.

It isn't totally clear from the OP's original post, but to be clear the 4th Gen V8 has a different transmission than the 4th Gen V6.

Reliability of the 5R55S is what you know. Treated well with maintenance and it will last comparably to what you know.

The V8 gets you the 6r60 or 6R80 (they went to the 80 in the 08's IIRC.) This is the same transmission used behind the engine in the F150 2009 through the 2017 trucks (except for the 3.5 Eco in 2017 got the 10 speed). The base V6 in the F150 still gets this transmission. We will just say the trucks in the higher engine options put a lot more power through these and they hold up well. I've got one in my '07 Explorer and one in my 2016 F150, and the 16 is much more refined. That being said, durable is a good word.

If its the transmission that worries you, the V8 transmission isn't a problem. Lots of other stuff to noodle on, but not the transmission.

My 07' XLT has a 4.0L / 5R55 transmission. With 95,500 miles on it, it literally runs, looks, sounds, rides and drives like new. For long term transportation needs the 4.0L / 5R55 is just fine with regular upkeep. I wouldn't tow anything bigger than my small trash trailer with it though, maybe a motorcycle trailer. If I was going to be towing anything bigger, even just occasionally the V8 / 6R would be a much better choice, not just for the additional power of the bigger engine but the 6R transmission would handle the additional wear and strain of towing heavier loads. But you are right that V8 equipped Gen 4 Explorers are harder to find.

As Rcflyer330 and Arne52101 said good maintenance is the key. It does help.

I was originally looking at Gen3 Explorers, but after reading so many transmission issues ive decided to move on and continue my search with Gen4s. Are they plagued with transmission problems as with the Gen3s? I was mainly focused on the V8s, but they seem to be much fewer so now im considering the V6 if the transmissions arent as problematic as the Gen3 V6... So basically, im wondering if the transmission issues have been solved with the Gen4? This will mainly be used for family outings, weekend getaways, and towing an 18' 2400 pound boat
I have a Gen 4 V8 and around 150k the torque converter started slipping which sounded like driving over rumble strips but without the viberation. Shop told me that changing the tranny fluid with Amsoil usually always corrects the problem if caught early, and in my case it did. If I were to buy one I would have it flushed as serviced with Amsoil at the first sign. I will say that my explorer has been very realiable for hauling around our family of six on vacations, I love it.

Gen4 V8 is the direction im going, plus im already familiar with it as i used to own a 2007 Sport Trac V8. Now if i could only find one, 9 out 10 in my searches are V6 models

On my Explorer 4.0l, I use only Amsoil 15/40 Heavy Duty Diesel/Marine synthetic oil in the engine,
As for the Trans, Transfer case, both Differentials, Again only Amsoil. I have been using Amsoil for the last 125000.00 miles in this explorer and now at 174000.00 miles. Same for my 7.3 Excursion
now at 270000. miles

For the 4.0L Ford specifies 5w-30 oil. I wouldn't vary from that regardless of the brand or whether it's conventional or synthetic.

For the 4.0L Ford specifies 5w-30 oil. I wouldn't vary from that regardless of the brand or whether it's conventional or synthetic.
^^^100% this herehere^^^ Remember a 5W will get to the chains quicker then a 15W

Back