Converting a 5-seater to a 7-seater? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Converting a 5-seater to a 7-seater?

Scurvy

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0l
Is it possible to convert a 5-seater Explorer to a 7-seater?

I have a 7-seater sitting in my car port that is done for, but all the cheap explorers for sale locally are 5-seaters. What would be required to make a 5-seater into a 7-seater? Or is this something thats not really possible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the seven seater you will need the backrest and cushion and all the hardware from the third row seat. Whatever is in the footwell for the third row too. Second row you will need the seat base and frame if not the whole seat. Third row seat belts.

From the seven seater you will need the backrest and cushion and all the hardware from the third row seat. Whatever is in the footwell for the third row too. Second row you will need the seat base and frame if not the whole seat. Third row seat belts.

I have a complete 7-seater Explorer. My big question is whether its possible (eg all the bolt holes, etc are there on a 5-seater) and whether its reasonably doable (I have decent skills, but I don't have a lot of exotic/special tools)

The 5-seater will have all the necessary holes etc for installing the seatbelts and seats from a 7 seater? The wife needs a 7-seater but they are far more expensive on the used market in these parts...

The holes are all there, covered in a “tar-like” tape. They aren’t threaded, but become threaded when you drive the bolts in. Take the tape off carefully and use it to plug the other holes. Same for the seat belt mount holes. (I don’t know if the second row seat mounts are different for third row/non third row because I put in 4th gen captain seats. So I had to swap carpet, not sure if you will or not, though you have it.

With the entire doner there, you have everything you need. Just dive in and start swapping. You’ll find everything as you go.

I will say though, I had to beat on the floor pan of my junk yard doner to get the third row seat mounts out. They are at the front of the third row seat and have a little lever that allows it to be pulled up. You need that little lever piece and they broke on me when trying to remove. They go in fine. So I had a large flat head screw driver and just beat the metal around them until I could get them out.

totally doable, especially with the donor car.

second row should also be swapped over (I'd do all 3 rows or at least the front covers just to match the whole way around)

Fantastic! Thanks guys! This really helps.

Ok I've got most of it apart. The one thing I can't figure out is the little white/black plastic clips that hold the front corners of the 3rd row seat bottom. I tried prying on it a bit but I didn't want to break it... So how do those things come out?

Ok I've got most of it apart. The one thing I can't figure out is the little white/black plastic clips that hold the front corners of the 3rd row seat bottom. I tried prying on it a bit but I didn't want to break it... So how do those things come out?
I believe you are referring to what I mentioned in my last paragraph.

Buy new ones or mutilate the donor vehicle with a 5lbs hammer and a large flat head screw driver.

I believe you are referring to what I mentioned in my last paragraph.

Buy new ones or mutilate the donor vehicle with a 5lbs hammer and a large flat head screw driver.
Buy new ones? It didn't seem like the sort of thing I could walk into Lordco for??

I can definitely mutilate the old car though! Any advice on what the goal is? Am I trying to make the hole bigger, or maybe there is a specific side to pound down or something?

Thanks!

I pounded the flooring down and away. There’s little plastic tabs that you need to free up. Don’t recall the detail at this point. Floor took a good beating to move.

I was doing this at a wrecking yard. This was the only way to get them out whole. Beat the floor until they just come out. Basically just creating a bigger opening.

I pounded the flooring down and away. There’s little plastic tabs that you need to free up. Don’t recall the detail at this point. Floor took a good beating to move.

I was doing this at a wrecking yard. This was the only way to get them out whole. Beat the floor until they just come out. Basically just creating a bigger opening.
access to an angle grinder would also probably get them out intact... heat might be an enemy of the plastic.

Back