Great experience installing aftermarket hitch on my 2018 XLT! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Great experience installing aftermarket hitch on my 2018 XLT!

If I'm thinking of the same part, it is not a "tow hook". It is used as a tie down point to secure the vehicle during transit. Apparently you won't find it on those with the factory tow package as that is used instead. What is this ugly HOOK?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may very well be correct, in that it was intended for safe transportation; however, the entire unit that came out was quite large and hefty; it was not just the U-shaped hook that you can see from below. I only know is that the instructions that came with my hitch also said to "remove the tow hook that is on your left rear frame rail, as the hitch needs to bolt into the same holes that the factory tow hook is currently using."

Again, my intention would be for having some safe way for a flatbed tow driver to secure the rear of the vehicle, which is why I thought the unit I found that inserts into my new hitch receiver might be helpful, in a variety of situations. Nothing more, nothing less...

You may very well be correct, in that it was intended for safe transportation; however, the entire unit that came out was quite large and hefty; it was not just the U-shaped hook that you can see from below. I only know is that the instructions that came with my hitch also said to "remove the tow hook that is on your left rear frame rail, as the hitch needs to bolt into the same holes that the factory tow hook is currently using."

Again, my intention would be for having some safe way for a flatbed tow driver to secure the rear of the vehicle, which is why I thought the unit I found that inserts into my new hitch receiver might be helpful, in a variety of situations. Nothing more, nothing less...
I could be wrong and have been wrong before because people do all kinds of crazy and stupid ****, but I would hope a properly trained and certified tow person is not going to rely on the hitch or a hitch mounted accessory to secure the vehicle for transport. There are no winch or tie down points behind the rear axle on the explorer for flatbed towing according to Ford.

see sheet 8 of 12 for flatbed winch and tie down points on explorer -> http://www.fordservicecontent.com/f...raft/2015-2016-Wrecker-Towing-Guide-Final.pdf

Unless you intend to use that red and black accessory as a way to pull yourself out of a ditch or for some kinky stuff, you can probably return it and save your money as it shouldn't be used for securing the vehicle on a flatbed.

Thanks for the very detailed document; even though it is labeled as being for 2015-2016 models, I am sure it applies to my 2018 as well! Good and very detailed information!

Great; thanks again for the info! I always love saving info like this in my computer's Explorer folder, should I ever need to reference anything!

Just keep in mind that the towing capacity is 2000 lbs for an aftermarket installation.......

Peter

....... is what Ford says to reduce their liability.

....... is what Ford says to reduce their liability.
The main reason is that the vehicle is not properly equipped from the factory with the required features for towing. Also, as some members have stated, the operator could be held liable if exceeding the tow rating and is involved in an accident attributed in some way to the towing.

Peter

Back