Instrument self diagnostic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument self diagnostic

Scorpius68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
is there a secret key turn or something that allows the entire instrument panel to light up and ensure all lights and gauges work?
No luck using google

If you turn the ignition to "on" all the lights should come on as a self check. The speedo is mechanical and the other gauges are electromechanical (magentism typically) The only solid state part of the cluster is the anti-slosh module in the fuel gauge circuit. There is no real self check of the instruments like in newer Fords.

Yea not all dash lights in the warning area come on that’s why I ask, but I know the bulbs are good. Example your turn signals won’t ignite when turned to on.

You'll have to activate the systems as a whole. For your blinkers, flip on the hazards. Hi-beam indicator, turn on high beams and so on. The only lights that will prove out will be anything controlled by a module of some sort. PCM, anti-lock brakes, and that's really about it now that I think about it.

One of the things I like about first gens are that they are designed more like vehicles from the 60-70s than newer cars. They were just about the last of that era. Things began being computerized after 95 and especially with the changeover to OBD2.

Back