• Register Today It's free!

Security system questions.

AGodlyCanuck

Reaction score
City, State
Nelson, BC. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4dr 4x4 XLT
So, this is the security system box on my explorer.
Automate 425

Its very hard to read but do you think there would be a way to disable the alarm system but still be able to use the keyfob to lock and unlock?

My first guess would be to remove the brown wire as that is the siren. Especially since I don't think this has an immobilizer...

Any ideas?

20190409_170527_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If this is an aftermarket unit, I'd just pull the siren out. It shouldn't make any difference in the operation of the system. Have you googled it to find an instruction manual?

I've tried, either I'm awful or it's hard to find.

They may not even be in business anymore. Who knows.

The factory unit will take away fuel pump operation and ignition for 30 minutes after it's been tripped. I can't see any aftermarket unit being that complex. I think I'd just remove the siren and be done with it.

El9ApjE9UDRSF7Y7ntPlFBiQ2eOZ2sTvFHLCmDurjyz6FKtEOqjqc-T2CnkGNnbv-RBdG6jmgzm_xbOzBdVAnSaNZbQxl3w2fX229dPnj-EQhRan1-890tsn8-nosKikTkOGhLLLI7l8yRY1BlOtSczLvZgxBxpLpWntDlkmeXpZ1YLQRzqa22Y18NjKeBUcR3YKpEYlqMbdBmGg-grZVvoQ4n4ds3BCAJp_9z4RLS2Yxj1RuBL16FdAnckrjgasow4zxzKw-OwtjIV428cMrJ82b6ZD7N8QFbO_MKmM9Bs6Tckd62D2oLCCPgW1y8ixAhivtt9yD62cYDhEfdfavRey9nff8CIazQpJzwyFiMc7cbZ8gAmF0Z1rHOe-_zfm9yCOnIdmLZDe1sPIgQ-z1-sz89dqWq1OOaAbKFXfyLJZ9SxwFSjRN0i0zUy7_cnTj4j-SFoHx6Jr1sYeovnVwzF7oThM6usQWxhViVDB81-YwCdlru12aaQSOkzdEHX0l8XTZPnwfZm3wj1iR9XQtE7jMnRXgEn5RvlT4ZkcKa0ZcnxVV8LTK6_h-N0xZOkoMygdny4E7BrGWd5SQbhsziQjloOuKbsKF7bswJseN68wm4TI65jM1vTyBmW_mQumIh7zkMkuHkIgsOJO4PmqIkHYNgyUq3k=w1279-h959-no

All you have to do is remove all non factory wiring associated with aftermarket unit like I did. Remove wire splices and make sure all factory wires are intact and in good order.
The above picture is of the aftermarket alarm installed on top of the factory anti theft system. It was making the car so some strange things, why it was installed in the first place is beyond me.

When I bought my explorer someone had installed an aftermarket auto lock/unlock kit that would lock/unlock the doors automatically from a key fob.
Prob was, it would lock the doors once the vehicle was started for some reason.
Not when put in gear, but when engine started lmao.
On a hot summer day, I started truck to run AC and went to take shower. Came out, truck running with all doors locked. Had to go through rear window to get into truck.

Next day went into drivers kick panel and removed all of that garbage and wiring, returned all of that stuff to stock. There were splices and wires that had to be removed/repaired.

I feel like aftermarket alarms and remote starting units cause all sorts of problems in my experience

My current Ex came with a Viper system installed by my FIL because he wanted keyfob remotes to lock and unlock doors. The system is also set to auto-lock the doors within 5 sec of turning the key to "On" (start or no start, just On). Yeah, it's locked me out a couple times, before I just got in the habit of carrying a spare key in my wallet! I have the manual for turning it off, just been lazy and haven't gotten to it.

The kicker is that the key fob never worked, still doesn’t lol

Back