Metal Radiator Fan Options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Metal Radiator Fan Options?

icthusrulz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4WD
Was in the process of replacing my water pump this weekend on my ‘02 ST and noticed that my radiator fan had a ton of cracks in it. I’ve read up on how this is normal for these, but I’d like the extra insurance of a non cracked blade when I’m out in the woods.

I could get another plastic fan, but does anyone know of a good metal replacement blade?

I hear that the 5.0L explorers had metal fans. Does anyone know if that would be a drop in option for a 1st gen Sport Trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cracks are common with these fans, but failure is extremely rare.

I replaced the severely (To me) cracked plastic fan on the wifes '02 S/T with about 220k on the meter. I showed the neighbor auto mechanic the "old" fan to which he said he had seen ALOT of these plastic fans with cracks but had not seen one fail.

I sleep better with the "investment" I made. :)

Thanks for the feedback. For the dimensional info I was seeing on RockAuto, it looked like I would have to use both the fan and the fan clutch from the 5.0L for it to have a chance of working (5.0L fan bolt pattern is different than the 4.0L SOHC).

In the end, I just ordered a replacement plastic fan and a new fan clutch and will call it good.

I’d still be interested to know if the 5.0L fan and fan clutch will work in the 4.0L SOHC if anyone happens to know.

The plastic fan on my '94 Explorer exploded on startup 5 years ago, so it does happen.

The plastic fan on my '94 Explorer exploded on startup 5 years ago, so it does happen.
@429CJ-3X2
I've warned of this possibility, as well as others, and wonder: did it take out your radiator? imp

No, but it might as well have. My wife was driving it that morning and somehow didn't hear it go. In her defense, she usually notices new noises most non-car people like her don't notice. I found most of the fan in small pieces right where it was parked, so I'm sure it happened when she started it. She drove off to teach her class, and given the temperature that day, she probably would have made it if not for a backup on the freeway. She had to sit in traffic, and it overheated and locked up. Her dad came and was able to drive it to a mechanic once it cooled down. Mechanic said just by the way it smelled he could tell it was cooked. Those OHV V6s don't like to get hot, and he didn't recommend trying to fix it. I drove it the 2 miles home from there. It had served us well and still looked ok, but just felt tired, so it wasn't a great loss. It was an extra bad weather vehicle by then anyway.
I bought my '01 Sport Trac the next week so the wife had something with 4WD on the handful of days she thinks she needs it. Took the ST to Midas to fix the front end the same week I bought it, which was a good thing. My son's '97 Mountaineer was totaled the next week and he needed wheels.

Back