What are these for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are these for?

Scorpius68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Really hoping this is an under the hood light just missing something. Other end looks like another plug clips into it.

840C1A0A-7B00-44FD-9B40-1AC8B80F7D70.jpeg

This I don’t see in my manual anywhere. Wife tends to think it was something for the tow package? Looks to me like some hoses might be missing off top. Other than that it appears useless.

EAC9A8C8-BD6B-42CB-927C-23249CA8CF00.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Underside of hood is for the hood light appears to be missing a T10 type blade bulb.

There should be caps on your carbon evap canister. They appear to be broken off. You need a new one. Depending upon what state you are in, it might not pass visual smog testing.

Underside of hood is for the hood light appears to be missing a T10 type blade bulb.

There should be caps on your carbon evap canister. They appear to be broken off. You need a new one. Depending upon what state you are in, it might not pass visual smog testing.

I’ll check out that connector a little closer tomorrow and grab an LED for it probably if indeed it looks like it’ll take a blade.

The evap canister i’m not finding anything that looks like it using rock auto or others. Looking to see what it should look like and figure where it connects.

It appears to be connected as I can see the two hoses coming off of it. There are two vent caps on the top that are missing. The caps are mushroom shaped and are affixed to those two broken holes. The evap canister is part of your fuel system. It returns fuel vapors back to the gas tank when the engine is not running. I think your best bet is junk yard hunting. The hood light's bulb plugs into the side closest to the windshield. Activates when hood is raised.

That white cap on your radiator overflow / washer fluid reservoirs is not stock either. It might work, but the original is black.

But I want a under hood light

I'd love to know where to look a pic maybe? Thanks
I’m confused, I’ll help you out though!
Are you asking for a pic of where the hood light is? Or where it connects to?

Yeah, I just looked, my Mounty is missing the hood bracket. I’d just hang it off the extra holes on the hood hinge bracket.

I’d install one of the ones with a retractable tether. My 96 had one and it was handy.

Mine goes into the main harness right below the hinge. Not sure after that.

Or, you could just get one of these and leave it in the cargo area. I had one for years that worked as a under-hood light, and a camp/work light on the rear hatch. I wired in LED lights into the hatch and cargo area so I don't carry it in the Explorer anymore. Now, its in the RV and I use a few magnets to attach it to the underside of the awning when we are eating outside in the evenings.
845 Lumen Underhood Rechargeable Work Light

Tell you what guys. I’m soooooooo glad i spotted it. I spent the $20 on a LED and WOW.....i’ve Never seen a hood light that clearly lets you see pretty much anything you’d need to tinker with if you broke down at night and needed to mess with something to get you home.

Get the LED....you won’t regret it!

Back