Turn signals not functioning

1.8TTony

Reaction score
City, State
Chico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ST XLS
2004 ST XLT
Left and right turn signals do not work. When activated, the turn signal indicator light in the dash stays illuminated when left and/or right turn signal is selected. The exterior blinker lights stay illuminated as well.

The hazard flashers work properly.

Where would the turn signal relay be located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Left and right turn signals do not work. When activated, the turn signal indicator light in the dash stays illuminated when left and/or right turn signal is selected. The exterior blinker lights stay illuminated as well.

The hazard flashers work properly.

Where would the turn signal relay be located?
Tony, I have an 01 Sport trac, same issue. however, my issue was in the steering column. the turn signal wires had gotten pulled tight from steering wheel being in the highest position. when i lowered the steering wheel, sometimes they would work. After opening the steering wheel column, I found that one of the wires are broken away from contacts. I Work some slack into the wires and fix the broken wires, and it worked great. Hope this helps. Robert.

^^ This was my first thought as well. Was an issue in mine.

If your issue is the flasher unit itself and not the MFS or it's wires, the flasher unit on the the 2000-2001 Explorers I've owed is mounted behind the knee panel trim and the steel plate that's behind it. IDK if it's in the same location on your year.

On most vehicles the turn signal flasher and the hazard flasher are two separate devices.

UPDATE: The turn signals began working properly. Maybe the relay flasher, or what ever it is was sticky from not being used for a long time. I bought the truck at auction and I imagine it sat unused for some time.

UPDATE: The turn signals began working properly. Maybe the relay flasher, or what ever it is was sticky from not being used for a long time. I bought the truck at auction and I imagine it sat unused for some time.
Did you happen to adjust the tilt steering wheel recently?

Back