• Register Today It's free!

Explorer door sill

Tom Champagne

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited 4WD
I have a 17 Limited and was wondering how if you could polish out scratches on the aluminum “Explorer “ door sill both driver and passenger side. Looks like the whole piece would need replacing not just the “Explorer “ inset. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had my MKT in for a minor body work job I found that when I picked it up the aluminum pieces were like new again. No idea what they did to them so there must be a way to clean them up.

Peter

I have noticed that mine also has tons of scratches. Would love a way to help clean them up a bit.

I was hoping the whole piece would not have to be replaced. I’ll do some research on the web,maybe I can come up with a solution.
Did you ever find out if just the aluminum piece could be replaced? Im Having the same problem too. Thank you so much.

Did you ever find out if just the aluminum piece could be replaced? Im Having the same problem too. Thank you so much.
Welcome to the Forum Cheryl. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on October 4, 2020, so he may no longer be following the thread/forum.
You may be able to 'buff' out scratches with a very fine steel wool. I had a vehicle in for some minor body work to a bumper a few years ago and the sill plate was almost like new when I picked it up.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Cheryl. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on October 4, 2020, so he may no longer be following the thread/forum.
You may be able to 'buff' out scratches with a very fine steel wool. I had a vehicle in for some minor body work to a bumper a few years ago and the sill plate was almost like new when I picked it up.

Peter
Hi Peter,
Thank you so much for responding. I guess I should have looked at the date of his post before I asked my question. Oops.
Does that aluminum “EXPLORER” plate come out? Can just the plate be replaced? The rest of the (plastic) piece is in great condition. I just bought this car and I am learning as I go. Thank you for your kindness.
Cheryl

Looking at a couple of the diagrams here, it does look like it can come out but I'm not sure. I don't see a part number for it.
BTW, the date of the post doesn't actually reflect when the member was last here. To see that, just hover your mouse over the member's name in the margin or click on it.

Peter

Back