Explorers Little Sister Turning Off When Shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorers Little Sister Turning Off When Shifting

Cjpooch

Reaction score
City, State
Saginaw, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, I hate to make a post about my wife's stupid Escape. I told her to get an Explorer. We went grocery shopping last night, come out, load up, get in the car, turn it on with the key, go to leave.....and nothing.

The engine cuts off when you hit the shifter button. Not even when you try shifting, all you have to do it hit the shifter button, it will turn off. When you release the shifter button it will turn back on.

I was thinking it was something with the after market remote start because now it turns on when you turn the key "half way" like you would when using the remote start. However, I disconnect the remote start all together and no dice.

Any suggestions before I get it towed?

2017 Ford Escape SE(?)

Hi David. Have you tried looking through any of the Ford Escape forums for similar issues? Nothing like that has come up in this Forum before.

Peter

Yeah I looked through some forums and whatnot online but couldn't find anything similar. Thought I'd through it out to the Explorer community. I've learned a lot for this group. Smart people all around.

Neutral Safety Switch perhaps? that circuit is used by the Aftermarket Remote Start... could be a contact in the shift mechanism or the neutral switch itself is jacked up... hard to say without seeing how its wired up and what its actually doing. Disconnecting the remote start and still having the issue strenghtens this theory, but if its wired in a certain way, disconnecting it may cause the same result...

Back