'02 Explorer Sport Keyless entry code location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'02 Explorer Sport Keyless entry code location

starsf

Reaction score
City, State
S.F. CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 explorer sport
HI I just bought my '02 Explorer Sport (used) and the dealer didn't have keyless entry code and is trying to charge me (a lot) to access the computer to get it. I read some threads that mentioned the code may be located on a sticker near the "C pillar" and the "Rap module" but I was not able to figure out where exactly it is in my vehicle.
I'd appreciate any "easy to understand" help that you seasoned Explorer vetrans could offer to a newbie. Thanks in advance and Cudos for a great forum!
Starsf@aol.com :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for reminding me. I'm picking up my used '02 limited (W/V8) after work.

They better have the code.

Wish I could help you out starsf. I'll ask tonight where it's located.

Man ... they better have it

I'm in the same boat now. Dealer does not have the code, but I got it in writing that if the previous owner does not provide it, they will reset the code for me free of charge.

The owners manual states the code is written on the computer module. I don't know that location......... yet

The module will be in the jack compartment, up and towards the front of the opening. See the pics in the gallery in my sig for more details.

-Joe

keyless entry code

you can look on the RAP module located in the jack comp. towards front of vehicle. You will need a flashlight to see it. It will be 5#'s. or the more expensive way is to take it to a dealer and they can pull it with an NGS tester or WDS.

Got it!! For my '02 it is located on what is called the "C" pillar. You may have yours in a different location, but my factory code was on the side pillar just behind the right rear seat above where the outboard right (rear passenger) seatbelt is. About chest high there are 2 boxes. The forward box was the computer. On it, there is a lot of other writing, but a seperate 5 digit number is the code. To see the box, I had to pull back a small section of the weatherstripping. Then I pulled the plastic trim a little & used a mirror & flashlight. Not sure yours will be in the same location as you have a 2 door sport. Once you have this # you use the owners manual to set the truck back to the factory code &/ or make your own code. I'm pretty sure older explorers have the code by the jack mount. Hope it helps.

I have wondered for yrs where to find my code for keyless entry. Have looked pretty much everywhere that has been mentioned other than above the passenger airbag. So if anyone can tell me where to look on a 2002 explorer sport 2 door I would appreciate it.

There is a lot confusion about the location of the 5 digit key code on the 2002-2003 ford Sport. The key code for the 2002-2003 Sport is located behind the passenger airbag. Often people confuse the Sport location with the Sport Trac which are of course 2 different vehicles. The link below shows exactly what to do to obtain the 5 digit code for a 2002-2003 Ford Sport. I am not sure if this applies to the 2001 Sport since they had a job 1 and a job 2.

Security Keyless Keypad Code Location 2003 Explorer Sport XLT

Thanks for the reply mic98xit. That's the one spot I have heard about and am not really wanting to mess around with the airbag. I might give it a try. If I do and do find it, will post it. Thanks again.

BTW - I read somewhere that you can pry out the defrost vent cover and read it looking down through the windshield on the passenger side kind of like reading the VIN on the drivers side. I didn't try that, but for anyone a little leery of playing with the airbag, it might be an option. When I was in there I could see how that might work.

As mentioned above in the post, sometime you can read the code without going thru the glovebox and looking through the windshield. It might be worth the try. Good luck.

Yes I have heard that also. Might give that go. Thanks.

You forgot to mention 1 very important thing .... this only takes a few minutes! I am not a mechanic, but I am decent with tools, and this whole process took my 10 - 15 minutes total. Thank you very much for the pictures also. They were a great help. BTW, for those concerned, no issues with the air bag. Came right out and went right back in. Didn't have to unplug it, or mess with anything else.

Back