• Register Today It's free!

What Color is My Explorer?

Steven G Webb

Reaction score
City, State
Saluda
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
Recently purchased this 07 Limited. Color was not a purchasing factor, though it's not an ugly color. I could look at the color code but that would take away the mystery and part of the fun. My wife and I cannot determine what color this thing is. In shadow or with the morning sun on the opposite side the paint looks gun metal gray. In direct sunlight it looks very deep chocolate brown. Anyone else see two distinct different colors in their pain? I'm planning to was polish and wax in the near future, soon as the rain and storms settle down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dark Stone Clearcoat Metallic

My truck is Stone Green, I honestly thought it was brown when I bought it. Still looks brown to me most of the time.

Check the door tag, the color code is there. Then google it.

Disregard, I just read you post again LOL:)

Check the door tag, the color code is there. Then google it.

Disregard, I just read you post again LOL:)
I'm glad someone else has a color that seems to change or looks different than is expected. I've owned more white vehicles than any other so color is a novelty. "Dark Stone" isn't definitive to me and I still can't determine if the "Stone" is grey or brown. In the words of one of my friends "At least it's not an ugly shade of what ever color that is."

If the sun hits it just right you see a very deep olive green. But after looking it up No brown option on the 08 Mounty.

According to the VIN code I own a black Explorer. Its more tan than black, although tan isn't the right color either. I just don't know what else to call it.

When I was looking at buying a new Ex the Dark Stone was my favorite color. I would put it in the brown range.
We used to have a minivan that daylight/night/street lamps/florescent/phosphorus lights/flashlights/whatever shifted from blue to green.
To those of you seeing tan in your Ex - wash the damn thing :chug:

Once every couple of years helps - it really does.

In my Explorers short life I think it must have been in an accident and repainted. The hood lines don't quite match up, and as I said earlier, the VIN number shows it as being a black explorer. The paint on the hood is fading and the underlying coat looks to be more silver or gray. Anyway, its still a good driving vehicle. I have had my share of troubles with it such as their "maintenance free" wheel bearings going out and having to replace the entire spindle unit :(.

3BC92190-9091-4956-8C0F-DF6DA4CB5DAC.jpeg
T7 Charcoal Beige like my ‘07

Back