• Register Today It's free!

Spring Over Axel Kit

david macdougall

Reaction score
City, State
NORTH PORT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Does anyone know where I can purchase one of those Spring Over Axel kits. The one with the brackets that sit on top and use the old bottom brackets for placement and support. I have seem pictures but the Supplier (Summit Racing) no longer has them. I have a 98 4dr with 4.0, 4X4, 3.55 non LS Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You buy a set of spring perches and weld them to your axle.

There are many threads, including mine below that detail this process. Lots of good information and lots of work. Takes more than a set of spring perches to put an axle under it.

Happy Hunting!

Barnes4wd.com has spring perches just make sure you get the 3" diameter ones for the 8.8 and then you'll need to weld on new shock mounts on top of axle and the u-bolt plates roughly 100$ and it'll be done

IMG_20180128_130655656.jpg

Barnes4wd.com has spring perches just make sure you get the 3" diameter ones for the 8.8 and then you'll need to weld on new shock mounts on top of axle and the u-bolt plates roughly 100$ and it'll be done

View attachment 167726
Question for you big red. Why didn't you swap to 4 door leaf packs?

Question for you big red. Why didn't you swap to 4 door leaf packs?
Because at the time I was doing it on a budget, even tho these springs are a little sketchy they flex well but I'm still debating on doing a linked rear but if I don't do links I'd like to change to a normal leaf pack

I pulled a set of 4 door spring pack and did an overload leaf with a 3.5 inch re-arc. Not super flexy but I have a tendency to drive around with hundreds of pounds of work gear in the back so squat was a huge issue for me.

Oh ok, yea this is just an off-road only rig so it's pretty light. I have put full widths axles on now and chopped the back half off and cage since this picture

Oh ok, yea this is just an off-road only rig so it's pretty light. I have put full widths axles on now and chopped the back half off and cage since this picture
LOL okay then I bet those single leaves are super flexy. How are you dealing with the axle wrap? First time I broke the tires loose after doing the brown wire mod was when I decided I needed real leaf springs. But I guess you're always driving in 4-wheel drive you probably don't have that issue

Yea haven't had much of an issue yet.. I dont go too crazy on the skinny pedal usually

I was considering using sway bar mounts as a place to mount my shocks when I do this. Anyone see an issue with that? I have ranchos that are meant for 1-4” lift I think.

View attachment 167726

I have a couple questions.
I see your pinion angel is high, did you just point it at the transfer case? Does that work?
Also, I have a v8 so mine has the “anti-wrap” bars, will I need to make brackets for that?
I can’t see in the pic where you mounted the shock brackets, I was thinking of using the sway bar mounts as a starting point on mine, they are both on the rear of the axel, will that be an issue?
Thanks!

Well before I did anything I took the stock pinion angle with my angle finder and then did the same angle with my perches as zero, I can't remember exactly but I think it was around a 7 degree upward angle and for my shock tabs I bought some from barnes4wd.com (part#B4W25002BP). I welded them on top. I'll take a pic later for you when I get home

Thanks! You didn’t have a sway bar?

I did but those were the very first things I cut off before I did any axle swaps like two years ago so I can't remember how they were located

Back