Check Engine Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check Engine Light

06limitedexp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Limited
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer Limited recently had the TSB 8-24-4 which fixes the check bump while braking. However, a few days later a check engine light came on I turn the key in the ignition but not cranking the engine to allow the check engine light to blink I get 8 blinks does this mean anything? Is there a code list I can use to determine what needs to be repaired.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the code list, but part stores like Autozone will check it for free with their reader. I don't know if a 2006 explorer will do the same thing, but other vehicles I had would do a blinking check engine light to signify that the battery had been disconnected within the last 100 ignition cycles.

so I had it checked and came out with P1633 Keep Alive Power Voltage Too Low (Ford) how would I fix this?

Sounds like an issue with your alternator. Check it with a voltage meter, you should be getting right around 14volts from your alt.

Sounds like an issue with your alternator. Check it with a voltage meter, you should be getting right around 14volts from your alt.

I did a search and didn't see anything here with a alternator reason.

So I did the old school check with checking the alternator I disconnected the terminals on the battery once I cranked the truck on and it stood on and ran fine. I think we can rule out the alternator and move toward checking the battery. I will check that later when I get home with a volt meter and see.

So I purchased a new battery and installed it and the p1633 DTC still lives and I'm at my wits end. When I turn the key just to have auxiliary on example radio, navigation my dash display is a big red battery and I reset the code because I just installed a new one. So I start a system check again and the system reads check charging system. However, as soon as I turn the key and crank the truck on and try a system check again it reads charging system ok WTF? Should I just turn the truck on and let it idle for an hour?

check fuse F24 10Amp in the battery junction box

check fuse F24 10Amp in the battery junction box

Checked it and turns out that fuse was blown so I left it on my dash so when I return from work I will go to autozone and purchase a replacement 10amp fuse. Thank a million could this be the cause of the check engine light? Something tells me I purchased a brand new battery for no reason. I'm going to see if I can get a refund for it I only had it for two days.

that fuse is what powers the Keep Alive Memory. without power the Check Engine light will come on. hopefully that will fix it. if the fuse blows again then you'll need to check for a short.

that fuse is what powers the Keep Alive Memory. without power the Check Engine light will come on. hopefully that will fix it. if the fuse blows again then you'll need to check for a short.

Replaced the fuse and the if fixed the CEL. Should this also fixed the delay in start up I have been noticing?

2007 Explorer Keep Alive Power (KAPWR) code P1633

All-- as I regularly use forums to solve my own issues... I thought I'd post this info hoping it would be of use to someone else (pay it forward).
I was getting 2 different codes intermittedly on my 2007 Explorer V6: P1633 (Keep alive memory voltage low) and P0449 (Canister vent valve circuit malfunction). After lots of messing around to figure it out I learned a few things:

-Fuse # 24 in the power distribution box under the hood controls both of these functions -- to power the PCM Keep alive memory and to power the canister vent valve for routine system leak testing --> so if you happen to get these 2 codes at the same time -- it points to a power supply issue
-If you check position #45 on the PCM 'B' or middle PCM connector (this is the connection on the PCM that's supposed to have a constant 12v supplied to keep the memory of the PCM) and you don't have 12V present in the wire harness... you've got a wiring issue
-If you do have 12V present at position 45 on this connector... you may have a broken wire that sometimes makes enough contact... so wiggle the wire harness all the way from the power distribution box to the PCM while checking the voltage to see if you can find the break.
-If you can't find the break..then you're likely in for a PCM replacement.. you can find OEM's on Ebay that ship pre-flashed with keys (you just have to have them cut once you receive them) for about $400...

In the end, I isolated my problem to a wiring issue somewhere in the main wire harness between the battery box and the air filter box -- somewhere along the radiator probably. I replaced the wire (purple with 2 red leads) starting under the battery box going all the way to the PCM -- and voila... codes go away

2007 Explorer Delayed start / extended crank

Additional info to the thread above: on my 2007 Ford explorer with a extended crank time to start issue-- something I learned -- there is a check valve in the sending unit in the tank that is supposed to close when you turn the engine off... and keep fuel in the lines between the sending unit and the engine. It's apparently common for this check valve to go bad/begin to stick... and so the fuel drains back to the tank when you turn the engine off. It means that you might have to crank for 10-20 seconds before starting (which is a really long time)... or, do what I do-- turn the key to the on position for 5 seconds or so... let the pump prime the system...then it fires within a second or 2 like it used to... or of course, replace the sending unit

I was suddenly getting P0446 and P1633. Found this thread. Checked fuse 24 and it was OK. Checked a bunch of other fuses and they were OK. Started the Mountaineer and the codes were gone. Hoping that the fuse was loose or contacts dirty or something. One of those, take it apart and put it back together and it now works mysteries.

Back