Next project vehicle? | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next project vehicle?

I want a mid-size 4 door SUV to drive when my 2000 Sport is being modified. I was planning to purchase a 2000 4 door Explorer with the SOHC V6 to take advantage of what I've learned, spare parts and my SCT PCM programming software package. However, I realized that at my age my next project vehicle will probably be my last. I've always been partial to DOHC engines since I purchased a 1958 Jaguar XK-150 in 1965. A recent thread: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap has captured my interest. I didn't know that the Aviator came with a DOHC V8 engine and was based on the 3rd generation Explorer. Since I don't like the looks of the Aviator front or the 500 lb weight disadvantage I've become very interested in swapping an Aviator engine into an Explorer. My long term objective would be a fairly quiet rear wheel drive 3rd Gen with a DOHC 4.6L V8 stroked to 5.0/5.1L and possibly forced induction.

I'm aware that the 2002 Explorer is probably the most complained about Explorer ever. Most of the complaints are associated with transmission failures. I could use some help researching which 3rd generation Explorer would be the best project vehicle.

I think the 5R55W and the 5R55S were possible transmissions. Were both used with the 4.6L? If so, is one more robust than the other?

Which transmission was installed in the Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L?

I've started another thread about the planned engine: DOHC 4.6L V8 build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutely. To not check the continuity after modifying a harness is foolish imho

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be interested to see if you can get the ESM system to work on the Explorer PCM. I'm guessing this will be a challenge.

The 4.0 OHV V6 throttle cables are much shorter, maybe you can get rid of that loop eventually

The 4.0 OHV V6 throttle cables are much shorter, maybe you can get rid of that loop eventually

I was going to suggest a Mach1 throttle cable, I have a Mach1 intake in a 4v (not an explorer) and it fits great I bet it would fit an explorer pretty well.

I have the stock throttle cable from my SOHC V6 which I'll evaluate when I get a chance. I've been hesitant to invest more time and money until I got the engine running. I didn't know if I assembled the engine correctly or if the starter would be compatible with the flexplate. Now that it runs I'll proceed with installing replacement anti-sway bar end links and fixing DTCs and exhaust issues. I may need a custom tune to correct ESM issues.

Any updates?

Any updates?
Our house was built in 1997 and last year we still were using the original gas pack (furnace, A/C unit). In October 2018 I started noticing fumes when the heat was on but my inexpensive carbon monoxide (CO) detector did not activate. I had the heating duct outlets tested for CO and they passed as safe but I learned about rebates available for high efficiency split gas furnace and A/C units. I decided to have one installed to save on winter heating since my wife keeps the house unusually warm (77 deg F.). The A/C unit is outside and the gas furnace goes in the walk-in crawlspace so I had to spend a lot of time clearing a space in the correct location with access from the door. The Trane system cost about $8,500 but I got back around $1,250 in rebates and saved a lot on winter heating. Then my 3 year old Kitchen Aide dishwasher started leaking. I tried a temporary fix but then the pump motor failed. I replaced it with a much less expensive (plastic instead of stainless steel tub) Frigidaire which I like much better. Its not as quiet but the normal cycle only takes 1 hour instead of 2.5 hours. So, I lost my momentum on the Explorer engine conversion. I decided to resume in the spring but I'm now involved in a backlog of spring yard work. When the weather gets hot outside I'll escape it by working on the Explorer in the garage.

Back