• Register Today It's free!

reviving the forgotten Sport Trac

Dsdsherm

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
I need some guidance on where to start with my new find. This is a 2001 Eddie Bauer Sport Trac that had been sitting idle and forgotten for 4+ years. I trailered her home and so far have replaced the fuel pump and filter. She now starts and idles, but starts missing and sputtering badly about 2000-2500 RPM just giving her gas in park.
I have verified compression and spark, and am replacing plugs and wires now, just because I had them out to check compression. I have cleaned MAF, Throttle Body, IAC. Cant find any serious vaccum leaks.

What are the chances of Injectors being stuck from sitting so long? Any other suggestions on things that could be causing this inability to rev up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, put a code reader or scanner on it while running to watch the "live engine data", and check for stored codes. Also put a fuel pressure tester on it and check the fuel pressure. Changing the fuel filter as maintenance item is a good start. If it starts and idles well, I doubt there is anything wrong with the injectors. Get the fuel pressure checked FIRST.

The fuel pressure is good and steady, forgot to mention I checked that already.

And it is within range, Checking in around 63PSI

It does start and idle. It may be a bit rough on the idle, hard to tell as I have no owned this long enough to know what a "good idle" may sound like. But it does start and idle. It is just when you give it gas it acts like it is starving

Disconnect the catalytic converter from the exhaust pipe, then try it! Possible cat converter is plugged up. Also when it is running, check the MAF and the MAP values (you will need a code reader that shows live engine data).

Disconnect the catalytic converter from the exhaust pipe, then try it! Possible cat converter is plugged up. Also when it is running, check the MAF and the MAP values (you will need a code reader that shows live engine data).
Disconnecting them improved thing quite a bit. I can now get 3K RPM before it starts to sputter about. It came with new Cats, so going to put them on and then see if I can go to Advance Auto and have the codes scanned. I don't have a scanner, let alone one that does live data. But the pre-cats seems like they disintegrated and plugged the others. It runs a lot better with open exhaust

FYI, there is are limiter in park that won't let it go past 3k.

Disconnecting them improved thing quite a bit. I can now get 3K RPM before it starts to sputter about. It came with new Cats, so going to put them on and then see if I can go to Advance Auto and have the codes scanned. I don't have a scanner, let alone one that does live data. But the pre-cats seems like they disintegrated and plugged the others. It runs a lot better with open exhaust
If the front set of catalytic converters have completely failed and ruined the rears, I’d probably fix that before trying to diagnose other issues. I’m assuming you dumped all the old gas, and flushed the tank?

974X4BlackSport nailed it. The cats had the exhaust sufficiently plugged to prevent it from running correctly. As the previous deceased owner had failed emmissions testing he had purchase all new cats that was included in the sale of the truck, so I took off the old and put on the new and now have a runner. 2001 4X4 Eddie Bauer with 156K miles and about $800 in it total. It is a good day to be me. I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. This forum rocks

Glad you got your truck running! Now that you have new catalytic converters installed, you will want to make sure that they also do not go bad or melt down and clogg up. You have to understand that cat. converters dont go bad on their own unless defective from manufacture. You will want to make sure all the emission systems of your ST are operating properly to prevent damage to your new exhaust system components. If you dont have a good code reader or scanner that can display live engine data while the engine is running, now is a good time to invest in one, it is imperative to watch all the sensors while they are operating to pin point trouble.

I agree. Converters don’t really wear out. Something happened to ruin them. If you don’t sort that out, it’s likely to happen again.

Back