Heat riser - It's game night... name that thingamajig! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heat riser - It's game night... name that thingamajig!

PaperSocks

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 EB Explorer
hello everyone.

my explorer started vibrating while stopped in gear, coughing every now and then. checking around i noticed my serp belt is tearing up. went underneath to see how far tear went and i noticed this...

canteen-like part with the hose or tube obliterated.

D4zXlkgWkAECLFL.jpg

can anyone tell me what that is and where that hose goes, what it does???
any and all info is appreciated. i'm about to do some research myself. but, a head start would be most helpful.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As Brian stated it's just a hose that can be removed. It's really just there to add heat to the cold intake air that's entering the airbox. There's a small door in the plastic intake tube and it slowly closes when the air gets warm enough and no longer requires heat from that hose. Forgot the name of it tbh

is it dumb to assume that it is better off disconnected, for that colder richer air?

either way, much thanks Brian and Kesp for the swift responses.

kinda wished that busted hose was the problem for the coughing.

You live in California, you need it. Its part of your smog equipment and is required. You can get the hose at AutoZone for a few bucks. It attaches with hose clamps to the air filter box intake.

a million?!

Turdle, it took me a while, but.... wait for it.... i got you a lifetime membership to everyone's fave VHS shop, Blockbuster Video. live it up! popcorn not included. i tried.

thanks for your help.

when i removed the air intake duct, the doomed tube's path is clearly visible.

i replaced the belt, but now it seems to squeak on cold starts. then the chirps slowly fade away.

thanks again to all.

You have a bearing failing in the tensioner or the pully. Spray a little WD in the top pully bearing and see if the noise goes away. If it does, that bearing is failing and you need to replace the pully. If its not that one, it is probably the tensioner.

Thanks BK, i will look into it.

While you have the belt off, just for a bit of further elimination, run the engine briefly checking for the squeek-chrip sound. Won't take any time but could save a lot of time.

If the chirp is present with the belt off, the noise could be coming from the camshaft position sensor.

much thanks to all on this thread!

luckily each time i cold-started, the chirp faded out until the chirp was heard no more. rip bird.

still! there was this one time where the belt unleashed a dance beat like none other.
an ass-shaker.

add some strobes and fog makers, club Ex.

i'll work on that heat riser now.

Back