Can I put a door code thing on a truck without it? What about automatic lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I put a door code thing on a truck without it? What about automatic lights?

Scurvy

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.0l
I have a 2002 explorer headed for the scrap yard, and a new (to me) 2003. The 2002 has the buttons on the drivers door to unlock the doors, the 2003 does not.

Is that a part I could easily pull off the one truck and put on the other?

I'm also interested in taking the automatic headlights switch from the 2002, any idea if that is easily transferred? Would my 2003 have the required sensors?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

neither of those is an easy update. There's a lot of inter-connected modules that you'd need to pull the module and wiring harness from the 02. Even then, there were some mid-year changes that might prevent them from working even if you did move them over.

At one time there was an add on keypad that worked as a key fob. That’d be easier and require no slot in the door.

neither of those is an easy update. There's a lot of inter-connected modules that you'd need to pull the module and wiring harness from the 02. Even then, there were some mid-year changes that might prevent them from working even if you did move them over.

Thats what I was afraid of...

At one time there was an add on keypad that worked as a key fob. That’d be easier and require no slot in the door.

I could swap the whole door if that would be easier, but it sounds like its too much work to be worth my while if there is other electronics required to make it work right...

Are the 2002+ automatic lights controlled by the mirror?

In the earlier Explorers(93-01), it is, and with minor wiring the "auto" mirror can be wired to handle the lights, tapping into the headlight circuit in the dash wiring.

AFIK that got axed by a trademark infringement claim from ford. Ford actually uses a stick-on accessory for some newer models, and the ones that work on older models are not available anymore that I can find.
Thats what I was afraid of...

I could swap the whole door if that would be easier, but it sounds like its too much work to be worth my while if there is other electronics required to make it work right...
It's not just the door. It's also the keyless entry module, the central security module, the memory module, and the wiring harnesses for all of them. The physical keypad is actually pretty easy to install, but getting it to work is a completely separate story.
Are the 2002+ automatic lights controlled by the mirror?
In the earlier Explorers(93-01), it is, and with minor wiring the "auto" mirror can be wired to handle the lights, tapping into the headlight circuit in the dash wiring.
The auto-lights would certainly be the easier of the two. don't think it runs through the mirror, I think it runs through a standalone dusk/daylight sensor, but I'd have to look at the wiring diagrams.

AFIK that got axed by a trademark infringement claim from ford. Ford actually uses a stick-on accessory for some newer models, and the ones that work on older models are not available anymore that I can find.
It's not just the door. It's also the keyless entry module, the central security module, the memory module, and the wiring harnesses for all of them. The physical keypad is actually pretty easy to install, but getting it to work is a completely separate story.

The auto-lights would certainly be the easier of the two. don't think it runs through the mirror, I think it runs through a standalone dusk/daylight sensor, but I'd have to look at the wiring diagrams.

I wondered because all of it is part of the 93-01 high option mirrors, sensor and adjustment switch too.

In theory, if the actual trigger wire at the main light switch is accessible on any late 90's up Ford, any car could be controlled by any Ford mirror compatible with the mounting system. Late 90's Fords began the press on mirror mounts, which the 2003 has for sure. So a 98 Limited mirror for example would mount on most later Fords, and if you run the trigger feed from the light switch up to the mirror also, it would work. Diodes would have to be included to separate the two switching circuits, and that's simple to do also.

Sounds like too much work. Lol

These aren't huge deal breaker items, so I'll just leave em be and look for a more feature filled model in a year or two when I'm looking for a new truck.

Thanks guys!

Back