Oldie but a goodie w/ power seat issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oldie but a goodie w/ power seat issue

DaddyBob54

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Just bought an '02 Mountaineer in good shape with the V6. The only problem is that the power driver seat won't go up or down nor will it tilt up or down. The motor runs but nothing happens. It works back and forth just fine. Before I go tearing into it, does anyone have any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '04 has the same problem. I'm not currently able to pull the seat due to health reasons. If anyone has suggestions I can get someone to help me if I can find the problem.

I've read that there's a plastic gear on a cable that strips. There's a guy selling the used parts on EBay. He has one kit remaining for $75. It's a common problem on 02-05 Mountaineers. I don't have the link in front of me right now. If you beat me to it, have at it. I can't fix mine right now also because of health problems.

I've also heard of people taking the seat out, adjusting it to where they want it with a drill, then just putting the seat back in. I may do that. My problem right now is left leg pain, and this seat being stuck high is causing more pain.

Besides, I don't want to pay for and install the same known faulty parts without a sure enough fix.

There is indeed a plastic gear that can strip. The replacement on eBay requires cutting off the plastic gear (Dremel with a cut-off wheel will work) and installing a brass gear. This would make for a permanent solution to the problem. I did this repair/modification and it works flawlessly.

Also be careful with the cable connecting the motor to the gear. This cable can fray and if it does, you’re going to have to head off to the wrecking yard to get one. The front is a different length than the rear cable. Mine was damaged on installation and frayed badly, so I had to get a replacement.

There is indeed a plastic gear that can strip. The replacement on eBay requires cutting off the plastic gear (Dremel with a cut-off wheel will work) and installing a brass gear. This would make for a permanent solution to the problem. I did this repair/modification and it works flawlessly.

Also be careful with the cable connecting the motor to the gear. This cable can fray and if it does, you’re going to have to head off to the wrecking yard to get one. The front is a different length than the rear cable. Mine was damaged on installation and frayed badly, so I had to get a replacement.

Here is the kit I found:
02 03 04 05 Ford Explorer Power Seat Track Up & Down Repair Kit | eBay
That gear looks plastic to me. Do you know of a different kit with a brass gear? TIA.

Back