Drivers side tire shaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers side tire shaking

strtracer436

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ford explorer xlt
I have a 94 ford explorer with a 6 in lift 33 inch tires. I have replaced the upper and lower ball joints and also the bearings. Tie rods are good. When I'm driving and go to slow down I hear a shutter/shaking noise from the drivers side. Does anyone have any ideas what it would be or has anyone had a similar issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are the bushings on your radius arms and axle pivots?

Double check the bearing nuts for proper seating. Which hubs, auto or manual?

Jack a wheel off the ground and check for play by shaking the wheel.

They are finicky at times, and might take a few tries to get them right. With manual hubs, I mark both nuts with a sharpie, with a line straight across both. If the outer nut moves at all, you can see it at a glance.

With auto, sometimes the key way isn't doing its job, or the groove in the spindle is wollered out.

Double check the bearing nuts for proper seating. Which hubs, auto or manual?

Jack a wheel off the ground and check for play by shaking the wheel.

They are finicky at times, and might take a few tries to get them right. With manual hubs, I mark both nuts with a sharpie, with a line straight across both. If the outer nut moves at all, you can see it at a glance.

With auto, sometimes the key way isn't doing its job, or the groove in the spindle is wollered out.
They are manual hubs I will have to check that and see if it has any play I will keep you updated thanks

Generally, excessive wear should be visible. You can slide under the front end and take a look. Two bushings for the radius arms and two bushings for the axle pivots. The radius arm bushings have a nasty habit of wearing out.

I have a 94 ford explorer with a 6 in lift 33 inch tires. I have replaced the upper and lower ball joints and also the bearings. Tie rods are good. When I'm driving and go to slow down I hear a shutter/shaking noise from the drivers side. Does anyone have any ideas what it would be or has anyone had a similar issue?
What lift do you have? Superlift, Skyjacker, Duff, etc??? Do you have extended radius arms? Even if you're radius arm bushings are visually ok you should Jack each side up one at a time and use a pry bar and see if you can get the rearward end of the arm to move up and down at all (esp if you have stock arms). You should have a bit of forward backward play (minimal) from the bushings but up / down or left / right requires further investigating. While you've got each side up in the air you can check your axle pivot bushings by trying to pry the beam kinda forward / backward slightly for whichever side tire is off the ground. I've found that further out nearest the bottom of the coil is a good place to Try. And it's not just forward backward its more rotating the end of the beam as if you were trying to change the caster.

Gman put it very eloquently that the first gen bearings are finicky . Even stock they can be a tad moody if you wheel, add 6" of lift... You can just start scheduling regular front end checks / maintenance and keeping an extra set of bearings handy.

Lastly, when you did the bearings and were reassembling, did you clean your caliper slide rails well and put a small amount of caliper slide grease (brake grease - ford recommends silicone) in the rails? We're you able to move them a bit in and out once the pins were in? With time, both the knuckle and the caliper rails can wear down to cause the caliper to hang up sometimes. Check ask if that and let us know what you find!

Back